TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
ccc6588

Default Re:Need Help with New Oven

Good suggestion. I will not make the modification since there is an outlet right next to the stove which would be good for coffee pot, etc.

I found the root cause of the problem and it is not pretty. Someone forgot to install the wire to the circuit breaker. The protective coating on the wire was not even removed. The white wire has a label "MICRO" which is the same hand writing that is on the circuit breaker box. >

The only problem is I don't know if there is suppose to be another 15 amp circuit breaker for a total of 5 circuit breakers or if this wire is suppose to go to the 30 amp circuit breaker. ???

The TM trail manor would suggest that the microwave is a 15 amp dedicated circuit but my circuit breaker housing only show one 30 amp, two 20 amp and one 15 amp for the GFI. Again the lack of attention to details are very annoying.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #22
ccc6588

Good suggestion. I will not make the modification since there is an outlet right next to the stove which would be good for coffee pot, etc.

I found the root cause of the problem and it is not pretty. Someone forgot to install the wire to the circuit breaker. The protective coating on the wire was not even removed. The white wire has a label "MICRO" which is the same hand writing that is on the circuit breaker box.

The only problem is I don't know if there is suppose to be another 15 amp circuit breaker for a total of 5 circuit breakers or if this wire is suppose to go to the 30 amp circuit breaker.

The TM trail manor would suggest that the microwave is a 15 amp dedicated circuit but by circuit breaker housing only show one 30 amp, two 20 amp and one 15 amp for the GFI. Again the lack of attention to details are very annoying.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #23
ccc6588

I found the root cause of the problem and it is not pretty. Someone forgot to install the wire to the circuit breaker. The protective coating on the wire was not even removed. The white wire has a label "MICRO" which is the same hand writing that is on the circuit breaker box.

The only problem is I don't know if there is suppose to be another 15 amp circuit breaker for a total of 5 circuit breakers or if this wire is suppose to go to the 30 amp circuit breaker.

The TM trail manor would suggest that the microwave is a 15 amp dedicated circuit but by circuit breaker housing only show one 30 amp, two 20 amp and one 15 amp for the GFI. Again the lack of attention to details are very annoying.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #24
ccc6588

Should the microwave wires be co-wired on the 30 amp breaker?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #25
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=ccc6588 link=board=22;threadid=1765;start=msg12534#msg1253 4 date=1079833596]

[/quote]
It's very clear to me from your pictures and the circuit diagram that TM simply did not install and hook up one more 15 amp breaker for your microwave (there should be 5 circuit breakers total). The unconnected wire labeled "micro" should not be connected to any of the installed circuit breakers. This is definitely something to take back to the dealer (if one isn't too far away). It your dealer is a significant distance away, I'd contact the TM factory directly and email (or snail mail if needed) these pictures. At a minimum, I'd expect the TM dealer to properly rectify the situation...or you could have the TM factory send you the missing breaker and reimburse you for having an electrician properly install it.

I strongly suspect this failure by the factory to complete the job was the result of several compounding problems: (1) These combo microwaves are new this year because the tradional stoves (w/ovens) are no longer available...so the factory personnel are still not totally used to the complete process of installing them. (2) During the winter/spring, the factory is rushing to meet dealer orders for the coming camping season.

The good news is that despite this obvious assembly oversight, TrailManor has a reputation for making things right. Not many RV manufacturers enjoy that kind of reputation. Bring this to the attention of your dealer and/or the factory on Monday and I'm sure all will be rectified very soon.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #26
live2shopnc

Unless it is a #10 wire don't hook it to the 30A breaker. I can't belive a microwave that small would draw 30 amps.
My guess is they left a 15A breaker out also. You can bet I would send these pictures to TM. More to check when mine comes in!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #27
ccc6588

I strongly suspect this failure by the factory to complete the job was the result of several compounding problems: (1) These combo microwaves are new this year because the tradional stoves (w/ovens) are no longer available...so the factory personnel are still not totally used to the complete process of installing them. (2) During the winter/spring, the factory is rushing to meet dealer orders for the coming camping season.

There is no excuse for this. And now you really have me worried. What else was a rush job? Hopefully not any of the essential safety items? What else are they not familiar with that they should have been properly trained for before executing? These are the reasons why red blooded Americans buy Japanese cars. Are there any Japanese RV manufacturers?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Echoing Ray, do NOT attach that wire to any of the existing breakers.

Although this is annoying, it is a minor problem, and the factory will certainly make it right. There are two possible solutions, either one easy, neither one expensive, and neither one time-consuming. An electrician can take care of it in less than a minute, quite literally, and I have absolutely no doubt that the factory will absorb the small cost involved.

The solutions are to replace either the full width 30-amp breaker or the full width GFI breaker with a double breaker - like the double 20-amp breaker that is already in place. The label suggests that TM intended to install a double breaker (30-amp plus 15-amp) in the slot that has always been occupied (and still is, in your TM) by the full width 30-amp unit.

Yes, the mistake should not have been made, but you sound like you're working up to an ulcer over it. It's not worth it. New cars, especially brand-new models - Japanese, American, European - all come through with the same kind of annoying errors, and we just let the dealer handle it. I recommend you do the same here.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #29
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=ccc6588 link=board=22;threadid=1765;start=msg12538#msg1253 8 date=1079846441]

There is no excuse for this. And now you really have me worried. What else was a rush job? Hopefully not any of the essential safety items? What else are they not familiar with that they should have been properly trained for before executing? These are the reasons why red blooded Americans buy Japanese cars. Are there any Japanese RV manufacturers?
[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm. I agree with Bill...this doesn't strike me as something to be terribly concerned about. As "oopsies" go, this one really isn't a biggie...the job wasn't done wrong (which could have been dangerous), it just wasn't fully completed. As for concerns about other systems in the trailer, this is the one new system in the '04s...and the change to these microwaves didn't happen until partway through the '04 production cycle. If an error of omission (like this) is going to happen, it's much more likely on new installation processes that have not yet become totally routine. FWIW, I have a suspicion there were similar errors of omission in the '02 models when roof AC was introduced.

Yes, the factory QC guy (or gal) should have caught this...for that reason alone, you (or your dealer) should notify the factory that QC missed something on final inspection. And, yes, your dealer should have caught it as well...but dealer QC varies a great deal from dealer to dealer.

If you do return the trailer to your dealer for correction of this omission, I'd suggest you demand that the dealer have his most experienced TM technician do a thorough safety/systems inspection of the unit while you watch. I very much doubt if anything else will be found to be amiss but a thorough inspection by someone who knows exactly where to look for problems will undoubtedly do much for your peace of mind.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #30
ccc6588

[quote author=jniles link=board=22;threadid=1765;start=msg12465#msg1246 5 date=1079499799]
You are correct, however, according to the dealer, the factory told them to go to 10 amp fuses. The Thetford manual does not specify the amperage for the fuses and it appears to be intentional on their part. I plan to call the factory myself to confirm before the next trip out. Now back to the toaster-ovens.
[/quote]

I noticed my toilet was a 7.5 amp fuse on my TM. I went to Wal-Mart to take the suggestions on this topic of getting extra fuses. Wal-Mart had assorted fused many you will not use that had one 7.5 amp fuse. I also bought the box of 15 amps which make up all the rest of the fuses on the 2004 TM.