TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
RCaerobat

Default Packing list/ what to buy?

Hello again,

I have some more questions. What sort of things have you bought or added to your TM that have become indispensable? Also, does anyone have a packing list that they use for camping?

I will be picking up my 2720 SL in a week, so I am getting excited. What size sheets will I need for the sofa bed and is the queen sized mattress the same size as queen mattress in the home?

I have been looking through a lot of pages about what modifications people have been doing to their TM's and have been getting some good ideas. I have zero camping experience, so let me know what type of things I need.

Thanks in advance,
Emory.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Packing list/ what to buy?

Yes regular queen sheets fit. I don't know about the sleeper sofa. Things you might need:

1. TP, change that to lots of paper stuff, everything you get dirty you have to wash. DW says that no vacation.
2. pillows, towels, rags (both to wash and to toss)
3. tire tool to fit TM
4. lightweight pans, flatware, cook ware, dish soap, (gas cooks really fast so you might need some scrubbing pads)
5. air pump, I use a 12volt with a long cord, can reach any tire that might need it, check all tires before leaving
6. lanudry bags, soap
7. everything you would take to a motel
8. lawn chairs, folding table, maybe ice chest for cold drinks
9. outdoor cooking gear, if you do that
10. extra shoes, socks
11. White hose for drinking water, water filter
12. sewer kit - hose,hose connecters (both ends), duct tape, plastic gloves
13. microwave
14. sat. dish, reciever, tv, coax cable as needed
15. maps/guide books/campground guides
16. Credit cards with high limits for everything else you forgot
17. electric adapters -50 to 30amp/30 to 110
18. jack for TM
19. locks for ball latch/ball
20. camera with lots of flash cards/film

I sure there are lots others but this will get you started.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

The above suggestions are fine for commercial RV Parks but for boondock (dry) camping the list is a bit different. Here are my indispensibles:
  • Two 5-gallon collapsible fresh water totes...the closest potable water is sometimes a quarter mile or more from the campsite. In some cases I've had to haul water 5 miles...even when camping in a developed campground.
  • Two sets of 10 lego style leveling blocks. I use these under the tires, the leveling jacks and sometimes even the tongue jack. Boondock campsites are often very unlevel and the ground is sometimes pretty soft.
  • Chocks for the trailer tires. Several times I've camped in sites that had a 10% front/rear grade. No way to even unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle until the trailer tires were chocked to prevent it from rolling.
  • Blue totes for longer stays (over about 3 days). I have a 20 gallon model on wheels for campgrounds that have a dump within a quarter mile or so of the campsite, and two 5-gallon totes that I can put in the bed of my truck when I have to haul the sewer water a couple of miles or more to the nearest dump station.
  • A portable "power tank" type gel-cell 12V battery. Very useful around the campsite for stuff like running an aircompressor, can be used to jump start the tow vehicle engine if the TV battery somehow gets drained, and good for other stuff like recharging my laptop and cellphone when I don't want to tap into the trailer's 12V system.
  • Portable gas grill...open fires (even including charcoal fires) are often banned where I camp. If I want grilled food cooked outside, the only reliable method is on my Olympian gas grill. I always also insure I've got an extra cannister of propane.
  • Travsak sleep system...I used a Wally World sleeping bag the first two years but I'm now sold on the comfort and versatility of a Travsak. Has proven warm enough for even the coldest summer nights I've encountered so far...even the July evening that dropped below freezing.

Life is different when you go "off the grid" and camp in a real campground. What the heck are these "hookups" everyone keeps talking about? ??? ;D
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
mamabear

Here are some more little items:

1. toaster
2. sharp knives
3. dish drainer that fits the sink( I found one that sideways across the sink at Walmart)
4. cleaning wipes for bathroom and counters(don't have all the bottles tipping over while traveling)
5. 12 volt vacuum cleaner(we have a coleman and store it in the tub)
6. surge protector strip
7. cutting board
8. bug spray
9. benedryl creme (after the bug bites)
10. sewing kit
11. lights for your awning with extension cord
12. and especially a roll of DUCT TAPE

I hope this will help you get ready to enjoy your TM

mamabear
Old 08-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Square drive screwdriver set. You can't remove the fender skirt to change a tire without one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
RCaerobat

Well, I'm kind of bummed out now. I went to pick up the TM this past weekend and the person selling it, a dealer, was not very truthful about the condition of the trailer. It should have been listed as a fixer upper. It was in extremely rough shape and had not been loved for years. I left it in Texas. If I get money back, I'll be looking for a TM again. I will keep all the suggestions in mind that you all have given me.

Thanks, Emory.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
RCaerobat

Well, I'm back in the Trailmanor business again. I found a 1992 M23 that just needs a little TLC and a big cleaning. But, it was within my budget and should be a great way to get acquainted with camping and Trailmanors. I am excited about getting out and camping. The towing was very easy and my Explorer, which usually gets 21 MPG on the highway, got 16 MPG while towing the TM on the way back. My 2 1/2 year old is very excited about it also. So, I'm sure as I get into this, I will be asking some more questions. Thanks, and I hope to see you guys "out there".

Emory.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

RCaerobat, congratulations on your TM purchase! I'll bet you're really excited about it. Your 2 1/2 year old will love it. We took our kids camping with us for the first time when they were as young as 3 months old and they've loved it ever since. I wish we'd had a bathtub for them when they were little!

IMHO, you should definitely check the tires, though. Ours looked great, but they were too old, and we had a blowout on our last trip. If we hadn't done the wheel well modification we could have had some bad damage from the blowout. You don't want to be stuck on a road somewhere with a young one trying to jack up your TM and change the tires, it's not fun. Trust me on this one. If they're over 5 years old, buy new ones. You and your family are worth it.

I still can't find the date code on my car tires, and have looked and looked. If any of you know where the code is located, please post. I looked and looked for the TM's tires date code too, but couldn't find it.

We have an extremely comprehensive excel spreadsheet of things we take with us camping, I could email it to you. One thing I bring now is a bound memo book that I use as a journal and also to record things we forgot or might need for the next trip.

Some things we have found ourselves without: a wrench big enough to fit the propane tank and one big enough to tighten the ball on the hitch.

May you have many happy and safe nights camping in your "new" TM!

D'
Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
bonzaibeaver

B & D,

How about sharing your list with all of us. Even the most seasoned campers can learn new things from the lists of others.

Bonzaibeaver
Old 09-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #10
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

RCA,

Glad you finally found one after many moons of looking. The grandsons and I went to a jet meet in Waco last week, guy said they had 53 planes on Thursday, but down to 47 when we got there. Other six perished during the event. First time I had seen them fly, but I have real-flight simulator here for kids to play on, and they have fun with the jets, and really enjoyed seeing the real thing. Now back to TM tips for what they are worth.

Check to see if your unit has a lift kit. You can tell by looking at the axle on each side where the trailer frame is attached. The lift kit is nothing more than a piece of square steel tube about 24" long that is bolted on top of the axle and raises the trailer about 2".

If you don't have a lift kit, think seriously about buying one from the factory or local supplier. They are cheap (about $35 I think) and will save your rear jacks from dragging on grades (like some driveways or service station entry ramps or campground hills) If you don't have a lift kit, I advise you to carry 2 pieces of good 1" x 6" x as long as will fit in your bumper box to use as ramps when you get to a spot that it won't go without dragging. Carry a couple of short pieces as well for supports when the ramp is several inches off the ground on more severe grade changes.

Whether you have a lift kit or not, be especially cautious about sudden grade changes. Proceed very slowly (with windows open and radio off so you can hear) and preferably with somebody outside watching to ensure clearance if possible. Stop immediately if you feel any change or lurch, or hear anything.

I also carry four wooden jack pads for the corners to save time and effort. Some campgrounds require them, and they are always nice to have.

Using a skill saw, I fabricated the base (from a 2" x 4" about 18'" long) into the shape of a paddle, then nailed a 8" piece of 4" x 4" onto the big end of the "paddle." They provide more stability at the corners, since the jacks extend less, are especially handy when one side or corner of the campsite is much lower than others. And all DW has to do is place them directly under each jack so the pointy end of the handle is directly under the pointy end of the corner jacks; they are then properly positioned for me when I come around with the drill to lower them. They dovetail nicely in the bumper box.

The drill? Oh, yeah, a heavy-duty cordless drill with a L-shaped steel rod about 8" long with a 1" bend at the end will make short work of extending/retracting the jacks. Keep the jacks washed down to remove road grime and spray them regularly with WD-40.

I also carry a leveling board that is about 30" long, 1" x 6" x 15" on one end and 2" x 6" x 15" on the other (screw another piece of 1" x 6" to one end). It also travels in the bumper box with a pair of rubber gloves for sewer work 4 plastic wheel chocks (cheap at Walmart) and a 90-degree sewer connector. Not much room in the bumper box for anything else, but everything I need for setup/takedown, unexpected grades or sewer work and dump station chores is stored back there where I can get to it without opening the trailer. We carry a squirt bottle of sterilizing gel in each front door pocket of the TV for use after all such events.

A small nylon (or other synthetic) tarp is also handy. We keep one in the exterior storage. Good to have if you need to crawl under or around the trailer or if it rains and you want a "porch" around the steps or under the outdoor shower.

The newer units have clips on the back of the sofa to carry the center awning support and extension rod. If your unit doesn't have them, you can buy them at the hardware store for a couple of dollars and attach them to a sofa back. Good place to keep them and easy to access.

Keep at least one spare electric cord adapter in your tool box (so only you know where it is when you need it) as well as a supply of fuses. Fuses know when the closest hardware store or service station/convenience store closes, and won't blow until 10 minutes later. Check the fuse in your Thetford; if it's a 5 amp, replace it with a 10. I've heard some dealers say (off the record or they could get in trouble) to just hot-wire the toilet motor, since the entire trailer operates on a 15-amp fuse anyway. I probably won't but it's interesting to think about.

Consider investing in a grease gun to take with you if you don't already have one. The trailer has easy-grease axle bearing hubs and the trailer ball needs a shot every few days. WDH hitches also work better if the lift arm attach points are greased. Mine rides in the TV.

If your unit already has levels attached (from previous owner) you will find they are handy. If not, you can spend as much or as little as you want. Some owners spend 20-30 bucks for the big inclinometer levels that they can see out the back window while the unit is still attached to the TV. Some dealers say to stick a round 2-dollar bubble-in-the middle unit onto the tongue. Some people just carry a small level in their TV and place it on the tongue when setting up. Your choice. Everybody agrees the fridge should be level, so you have to figure out how you want to level your unit.

Check your awning end-covers to be sure they are still sealed. If not, you can fill the rolled-up awning with water as you drive in the rain. And if you don't extend the awning to dry, the water can cause big-time discoloration, mildew, and other bad stuff. I advise you to extend your awning after every trip before you store the trailer, just to be sure it works properly and that the awning is dry. Use white silicone sealer on the awning end covers if necessary. Also check the end covers for integrity. The plastic on the older units (and maybe new ones as well) is prone to age-cracking, and small holes are not apparent until you look closely. Most RV dealers sell them. Also check roof seals, especially those around vents and air conditioners. Older units also have center strips that are more leak-prone, so check them carefully as well. One or two tubes of sealant will normally do an entire TM roof. Cheap insurance.

Be sure to note that the bed pin (that plugs into the bathroom wall when set up) is also the emergency exit. If that pin isn't inserted, the entire bed can unceremoniously tip whoever is on it onto the ground. Some funny stories on this site about that, but probably more important for people with kids who like to jump up on the bed (and I've never seen one that doesn't

Many of the older units have experienced some problems with the corner draw latches over time. The factory has replacement latches and wall anchors they recommend for replacing them. Prices are very reasonable.

Old-style shell latches are also problem-prone. Several good posts recently on that subject.

Good luck with the new unit. Have fun at the flying fields.

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote