TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
pauloh

Default Odd readout on Tekonsha brake controller

I'm barely able to get on the internet here in Yellowstone (via a Verizon hotspot) so I apologize for not researching the forums very long for a possible answer about this. The other day when I was ready to leave my Tetons campsite, heading for Yellowstone a couple hours away, I noticed my Tekonsha brake controller was reading 1.0 volts (flickering to .9 or .8) as if I was pressing the brake slightly even though I was not. Normally it sits at "0" volts when no brakes are applied. It still increased semi-normally when I did push the brake pedal, returning to about 1.0 again when I let up. I tried unplugging the controller, re-inserting the main cable at the hitch, and turning the engine on/off. (My Tekonsha is wired to my TV with factory-supplied harnesses, I remove it when back home.) Finally I drove off with it this way. I am not sure if light brakes were being applied to the Trailmanor but it seemed like perhaps they were. I forgot about touching the drum to see if they were hot. But along the way (on long flat stretches with no traffic) I tried adjusting the Tekonsha, moved the maximum voltage down from around 5.0 volts (the factory setting I think) to 1.0 then back again, and checked that the manual lever still activated the trailer brakes (it definitely did), and the regular brakes worked when needed throughout, but in a nutshell it seemed the problem went away on its own and eventually the Tekonsha finally read "0 volts" when I wasn't applying the brake. I've been parked for several days but will be on the road again by Friday…does this seem more likely a problem caused by the controller, my tow vehicle, or maybe the trailer brakes somehow? I inspected the brake wiring at each hub, seems intact and the way I had it when I re-did things a couple years ago. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote