TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
jellis

Default Security of Your TM

Not sure this really belongs under "Maintenance/Cleaning" but couldn't find a better category. Probably not thinking too well at this point anyhow; we're still in shock and a little sick after finding this morning that our TM apparently has been stolen.

We just happened to stop by on our way home from lunch to check on the TM since we hadn't had it out since June. Drove into our computer-controlled, gated, security-fenced, TV-taped storage facility to find nothing but our two chocks in our TM's parking space. The TM had its tongue lock installed and one latch was padlocked when we last left it.

The point of all this is to offer a couple of lessons: 1) apparently no storage facility is theft-proof, so carefully consider what you leave in the trailer, and 2) the "deadbolt" type tongue lock is no deterrent. The policeman who took our report just laughed when I told him the type of lock we used. Ironically, in checking all the other boats, campers, utility trailers, etc. in the facility, almost all had this type tongue lock installed. Needless to say, I will attempt to find a stronger lock for our replacement trailer when and if we are able to get one.

Just for reference, our TM is a 2006 3124KB, VIN 5NZBF311761005367 with Tennessee tag #27432TE, should anyone see one being offered for sale cheap.

Please, don't take security lightly. I never had a thought it could happen to us.