TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Rear-view camera

I have a couple of 7" LCD monitors laying around so I decided to install a Back-up (or rear-view) camera on my truck. I bought a camera for $22 (eBay).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I know that a few of you already have them and I am looking for mounting suggestions for the camera and the monitor. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to mount the monitor on the back of the drivers sun-visor. However, I'm interested in some opinions on the camera placement.

I have a shell on the back of the pick-up and I'm thinking, maybe on the top of the shell, looking down toward the hitch and as far back as I can point it. However, most of the ads that I see have it mounted on the license plate and pointing straight back.

I'd like to hear opinions of people that are actually using them.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Looks attractive, but I might put it on the back of the TM as I would rather have the assistance backing into a campsite. I use the tennis /foam balls for hitching up.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We use cameras in our company truck.
1. Front view mounted center of windshield
2. Turn signal activated Drivers Side side Camera with night vision
3. Turn signal activated Passenger Side side Camera with night vision
4. Rear view Camera with night vision mounted at the top of the box angled towards the bumper for depth perception.

5. All cameras feeding into a dvr system

If you mount a camera on the license plate holder it works fine for seeing what is behind you but without the high mounted angled view you loose depth perception.

In a nut shell placement depends on what you want the camera to do for you.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
TraceyMac

I have a camera mounted in the license plate holder in my Honda Ridgeline. so it is only inches above the hitch. As the previous poster said, it's great for alignment, but it lacks depth perception - I can usually get to within an inch or two, but it is a little bit subjective - working off shadows etc to stop at the right point. If I had it to do over again, I think I would mount the camera higher on the back of the truck so I got a combination of rear vision and depth perception - perhaps 30 deg downward angle might be best.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the feedback . I was thinking the same thing but I thought that I may be over-looking something because these things are usually advertised, being mounted in the license plate.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
lnussbau

Note that the factory installed camera on a Ford pickup is in the tailgate handle, and it's a pretty wide angle camera. You'll certainly want to look carefully at the viewing angle of your camera at any proposed mounting site.

The Swift Hitch camera I use has a very narrow field of view, and I put it just above the tailgate handle (it's a mag mount) when backing -- it lets me see the hitch/ball/etc., but isn't a lot of help in initial alignment (until I get close), but then lets me see exactly where the ball goes -- it has a night, infrared mode, as well. I'd mount it up on the shell, if it would hold a magnet.

In all cases, be aware that there may be certain lighting conditions happen (very bright sun at the wrong angle) that would wash out your video, but this thankfully seems rare to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnussbau View Post
Note that the factory installed camera on a Ford pickup is in the tailgate handle, and it's a pretty wide angle camera. You'll certainly want to look carefully at the viewing angle of your camera at any proposed mounting site.

The Swift Hitch camera I use has a very narrow field of view, and I put it just above the tailgate handle (it's a mag mount) when backing -- it lets me see the hitch/ball/etc., but isn't a lot of help in initial alignment (until I get close), but then lets me see exactly where the ball goes -- it has a night, infrared mode, as well. I'd mount it up on the shell, if it would hold a magnet.

In all cases, be aware that there may be certain lighting conditions happen (very bright sun at the wrong angle) that would wash out your video, but this thankfully seems rare to me.
Thanks for that insight. If I mount it on the shell, I will have to drill a hole . I hate drilling holes for stuff like this because the shell is f/g and the design of the camera is not conducive to exterior mounting. If I change my mind, I can't change the drilled hole.

There is a stop light in the center of the top of the shell. I suppose that I could drill a hole in that. At least I could fill the hole with something, if I changed my mind.....
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
larsdennert

i'm surfing from my phone so i can't link but in my gallery are pics of my camera on the back of the tm.
http://67.122.16.97/lars/gallery/vie...umName=album40 ah got the phone to paste
Old 08-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
newtome3326k
Site Sponsor

Default Rear-view camera

I actually have 2 pioneer camera's. One camera on the TV in front of brake light and one is on the rear shell of the TM next to the seam. I had them installed at an audio tint place. I have a toggle switch installed in the lower dash to switch back and forth to see the front and rear of the TM.
WDH, Brake Controler, 2 Pioneer cameras
newtome3326k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtome3326k View Post
I actually have 2 pioneer camera's. One camera on the TV in front of brake light and one is on the rear shell of the TM next to the seam. I had them installed at an audio tint place. I have a toggle switch installed in the lower dash to switch back and forth to see the front and rear of the TM.
How did they run the wire for the camera on the TM? Just curious because I am getting ready to add one my self.

Do you have any pics of the camera setup?

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote