TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Fdxflyer

Default "Screen door"

I was unsuccessful in using the new screens from D&S so I came up with what seems to be a simple solution. I just got some plastic screen material, cut it fit the upper portion (with some overlap), attached it to a piece of wood and attached that with velcro above the door. I used a couple tabs of velcro on the sides and bottom to hold it in place. After three trips it seems to work quite well, is easy to access (we just lift up a corner to get in and out), and so far hasn't fallen apart! Next time we have the TM out I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm interested in a photo or diagram. The question of "How to do it" has been around for a long time, and a number of solutions have been proposed, including one from the factory. As near as I can tell, only a few have actually been tried, and the D&S approach is the only one that seems to have met wide (though not universal) acceptance. But I'm always open to new and simple approaches.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Allen1124

Smile D&S user

I purchased the screen insert earlier this year and have enjoyed using it.
I had some initial minor adjustments to make.
Later, it was accidentally bent, but I was able to make the necessary simple repairs.
In both cases, D&S was very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Time is money and unless you are handy and have the time to create your own...............this seems like the best solution available to date.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
camp2canoe

A little thing, perhaps, but I just noticed after 4 years of ownership that the factory door window is shorter than the other windows on the TM. I've been scratching my head as to why this might be the case and the only thing I can come up with is that TM may have just used a stock size from the window manufacturer. Still, I would think that TM would have the purchasing clout to order a custom matching window. - camp2canoe
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
larsdennert

My TM came with a screen for the doorway. It is a trimmed material that has vertical slits allowing you to walk through it. Similar to the grocery walk-in freezers that have the clear plastic slit doors. We don't use ours very often but it rolls up and attaches with two velcro squares over the door.

Our TM also has clips for an outside awning room. Regretably the previous owner didn't leave the room inside when he traded in the unit.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Rich and Bonnie DiGiulio

Default Another option

I used screening material and basted a hem around the piece using fishing line, created a pocket at the top to accommodate a tension rod that fits inside the door frame and a hem at the bottom that allows for some weights to be inserted to keep it in place. It's functional but not perfect.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Benaslopok

Hey, Yep would like to see it.. I've tried but was not too successful.. Sounds like the frame would be a way to go..

2003 Silverado 4.8 w/ Hypertech computer (Awsome!)
2002 2720Sl
Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

An idea I haven't see here....

My TM came with a screen that was made according to the plans that Hal put together some years ago. Once I figured out how to put it together, it worked pretty well.

But If I were going to create a new screen door, I saw a design at the RV show in Denver that should be easy to do. It was on one of those smaller light weight trailers that had a round top door. The screen door was attached to the inside frame and latched with velcro. The screen door was on a frame that matched the shape of the door. the "hinges" were pieces of velcro. The nice thing about it was that it attached to the inside of the door frame so it could be left in place when the outside door was closed. Or it could easily be removed to be out of the way.

It seems like that would be an easy design for a TM. Has anyone given thought to something like this?

Alan
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
larsdennert

Mine came with that. Basically screen with vertical slits so you can walk through. Uses velcro to attach.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Al and Sue

I made one about a year ago that was long strips of screen attached with velcro to the door frame. We used it a few times but my dh did not like the way it looked. I really wish I had not cut the screen in strips...I think this is a great design: http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...reen-door.html

All you need is a roll of non-wire screen (use a nylon mesh) long enough for the doorway...scissors and velcro. Cut the screen down the middle from top to bottom over lap the top sections by about 2 inches take a couple of stitches to secure the sections and velcro to the door frame. Trim to fit.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote