TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
SigurdHoy

Default Hitch height

I am new to this and our 2619 is about to come off the line at the factory. What is the correct hitch height to the top of the ball on my Sienna van?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Scott O

You adjust the ball on the Sienna to match the hitch height on the trailer when the trailer is level front to back. The type of tow vehicle really doesn't matter. Get an adjustable ball mount for your Sienna so you can move it up or down as needed. Your dealer should be able to give you the correct ball height, but ours is somewhere around 19 1/2" if memory serves correctly. A search on this forum should yield some useful results...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
You adjust the ball on the Sienna to match the hitch height on the trailer when the trailer is level front to back.
Of course, this means level after the tongue weight is on the ball and the spring bars are raised. If you set it level before the coupler is dropped onto the ball, then the vehicle will squat when the load is put on, and the TM will no longer be level. Different vehicles will squat by different amounts, of course, depending on the softness of the suspension. Previous advice (not mine) is to set the ball initially about an inch above the unhitched level. You may have to adjust the ball height once more, but with an adjustable ballmount, that is a minor thing to do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
P and B

I have trouble hitching and unhitching in my driveway. The driveway is at an incline. When I line the TV up with the TM, I can get the ball to go into the socket easily enough but the pawl won't drop. Same problem unhitching, which I consider a lot more dangerous too. I've had some problems on a level surface getting the pawl to release to but I have better luck.

My eight year old grandson suggested that I just release the hitch from the TV and drive off of it when I unhitch. I told him I was reluctant because that wasn't the way it was supposed to work. Nevertheless, it seems like not such a bad idea.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on? The whole system is pretty new so I was using that as an excuse- needs to break in. Not sure that's the case though.

Phil
Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Fdxflyer

After dropping the TM onto the ball move your TV a few inches (i.e. just a "tad") front or back and it should relieve the pressure. During the unhitch process just make sure you have the TM chocked.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Also be sure the hitch ball is lubricated - sometimes with a dry ball and socket it tends to stick, especially if a little rust builds up. I had this happen a lot on my popup. I've greased the ball on the WDH and the TM slides off adn on effortlessly.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
grakin

I'll second the suggestion about moving slightly forward (not back, though). The coupler needs room at the back to drop down.

What I do:

Lower TM onto ball, and then try to close the latch. If it doesn't close, I open it, hop in my tow vehicle and pull forward just enough to snug the wheels of the TM against the front wheel chocks (you don't want to remove the chocks yet, if you are on an incline up hill, because the TM would then roll forward and give no room at the back of the ball!). I then have no problem dropping the coupler down. I grab the back chocks at this point, since they are usually loose from pulling forward.

I've seen people hit the latch with a hammer - I don't think that's a good idea at all. Most mechanical things aren't meant to be forced!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As several have pointed out, the problem is that the ball has drifted to the back of the coupler, so the moving piece won't move. My driveway slopes slightly and I experienced this problerm. To figure out what was going on and what needs to happen, I laid on my back and looked up into the unhitched coupler while my wife worked the latch lever a few times. It was a real AHA! moment. You might do the same.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Scott O

Good suggestion Bill. I occassionally have the problem, and I am sure it stems from the fact that I really don't understand how the mechanism works. I'm going out to the garage and take a peek right now! Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest...