TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
leonbergus

Default Q. re. very old TM (1987 M22)

Dear List,

I am new to this forum, having stumbled across it while searching the web for a used TrailManor. It seems like a good place to ask a few questions.

We (my family of 6) are ready to upgrade from a pop-up camper to a TM. We have enjoyed the little pop-up for the last five years very much but it is definitely getting too small. Moreover, we are ready for getting a hard shell around ourselves. However, our budget is limited and therefore we are in the market for an older model. We don't care much about the latest and greatest in comfort but rather that the camper be functional and reliable.

After reviewing the various web sites where RVs are for sale we came across this ad: http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/l...OR-22-92319952 .

My questions to the forum:
Are there any reasons why we should not consider a TM that is that old? What should we be cautious about with such an old model? Is the asking price reasonable?
The camper sits in South Florida, about a 5 hour drive from us. Unfortunately, the owner is somewhat "tight-lipped" in giving me answers to my questions and I am not inclined to drive 10 hours to inspect it myself perhaps only to find out that it has serious problems. The only additional info that the owner was willing to offer was that the toilet flushing mechanism has to be repaired as well as the connection for the gas, and that it has some rust.

So, my next question is this: Does anybody here know this unit, perhaps has seen it or considered it themselves who could give us information on the state it is in?

Assuming that the toilet and the propane lines have to be replaced, how much in repair costs are we probably looking at?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Best regards, Alex.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
rtry9a

An older Florida-kept TM is asking for problems- the warm moist air is terrible on the wooden frame; it is probably rotted badly, especially since the current owner is acting deceptively.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
bso8870

I tried contacting this seller multiple times and he never returned my call. I live only about 4 milles away. I have given up on this guy. I was expecting problems due to the age but was curious enough to check it out.

Mike
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
ng2951

Fixing the toilet could cost you almost 1/2 the price he is asking. With all the problems he is willing to admit I would pass.

Basically, any TM prior to 2003 could have significant amounts of wood in the frame. Just something to be aware of and to be careful when inspecting the TM.

More to the point, how much are you willing to spend and what are you looking for.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Basically, any TM prior to 2003 could have significant amounts of wood in the frame. Just something to be aware of and to be careful when inspecting the TM.
http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ght=wood+frame

From what I've read, TM's moved away from wood in the frames between 1995 and 1998.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
ng2951

I am just going by what the TM factory rep told me earlier this year. He said they were cycling out the wood frames, but that activity wasn't complete until 2003.

If somebody has more definative info, I would be happy to here it.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
leonbergus

Quote:
Fixing the toilet could cost you almost 1/2 the price he is asking. With all the problems he is willing to admit I would pass.

More to the point, how much are you willing to spend and what are you looking for.

Thank you very much to all who have responded so far.

We are mainly interested in a lighter model, i.e., the 2720 or the 2619 since we will be towing it with a Toyota Sienna. It has to sleep 6, so the popular 2720SL is out of the question. We hope to stay below 10k$ which will limit us to somewhat older models.

Best regards, Alex.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
pinewoodsue

Default www.oodle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbergus View Post
Thank you very much to all who have responded so far.

We are mainly interested in a lighter model, i.e., the 2720 or the 2619 since we will be towing it with a Toyota Sienna. It has to sleep 6, so the popular 2720SL is out of the question. We hope to stay below 10k$ which will limit us to somewhat older models.

Best regards, Alex.
You may want to try this site, www.oodle.com as it seems to have a very good search engine for "Trailmanor". I've found something new everyday I've checked it and there are many in the SE part of the country.
Best of luck. Susan
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
SneakyFrog

Quote:

I read through this thread wondering what "he is asking"... finally clicked on link. $1800 OBO.... if it is just rusty, toilet repair/replace and a gas line, then this would be really tempting for someone. If you end up buying it, let us know how it goes, OK? Good luck.