TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Traveler

Default HiLo sold - Trailmanor Owners now !

Finally made it!

Loved our little (17') HiLo while the kids were growing up. Now that they are not vacationing (as much) we decided that we needed a larger - don't ask for the logic - trailer. Saw a Trailmanor in camp one day, and been waiting for one for sale ever since.

Two days ago we got a 2001 31'KS, and only had to drive 700 miles each way to snag it!

Some comments so far, and understanding that we have only towed the Trailmanor, not camped yet, and are not whining, just our first impressions:

Compared to the HiLo the build quality is about the same - although the TM feels less 'solid'. The TM is more of a pain to set up - and there are more spaces for critters to come in. HiLos are heavy; a 31' HiLo comes in at 5,720 lbs base weight, but if they were the same weight as the TM for the same length - we would have another HiLo just for the setup time. But they aren't - thus the TM.

Not trashing the TM at all - heck we bought it! Love the low weight to length ratio! BUT, when ya gotta potty on a long stretch, or just want to have a quick lunch, the HiLo sets up in 20 seconds.

Lots more storage in the TM - but take the differences in length into account. We are lost wandering around in the TM compared to the 13.5' interior of the HiLo !

Tow vehicle: Volkswagon Touareg, 6 cyl, 236 HP, 6 speed selectronic trans, all wheel drive, weighs in at a fat 5200 lbs empty - and is the best vehicle we have ever owned. Tow rating is 7700 pounds, 660 hitch max. Personally, I always cut any tow rating down to 2/3 of stated to be practical.

Towing: Facing the high Santa Anna winds on the way back, and crossing Donner pass (6000 feet plus) from Bakersfield to Sacramento to Reno - got 12.x MPG, when the unloaded tow vehicle would normally get 17-18. The TM followed like a (somewhat heavy) puppy though. I am going to put weight distribution system on - didn't like headlights pointed upwards.

Rest of miles home: Normal MPG would be 19, got 13.7 at 65-70 mph. This is at nearly a mile altitude and temps between 30-40 degrees - over two 1000' passes. Figure about 70% of normal. Our HiLo, which weighed in at about 3,200 pounds, got 15 mpg in summer, so figure it would have gotten 14 in colder temps. Yep it will also tow fine at 80 mph too - no we won't be doing that at these gas prices!

Reading through manual tonight I stumbled across the "Winterize" section and, like a shot from a cannon, was out opening all drains, hot water heater, pump disconnect - remembered it will get to single digits tonight! Whew - close one!!! Got all water out before it froze too far.

Things we like so far: Space - lots and lots of space! Nice looking. Storage and counter space! An actual couch and chair to sit in! Low profile (like HiLo), hardsides (almost), bigger bathroom, an oven, bigger (fixed) bed, did I mention space???

Things we have to get used to: The Potty - you knew we would say that! We wonder whether it will explode, or what happens when we flush, and where DO all those solids go, and what is that blue 'water' anyway, and does it act like a 'blender' if you get my drift, and...????

Also, less security (a skinny kid can climb in the end under the velcro flap), the feel of the TM is a bit less solid than a HiLo (probably the construction materials), set-ups taking much longer, having to climb (literally!) into bed (wife is 5'4"), the length towed (already, ahem, drove trailer tires over a curb), not being the center of attention in a group of large motor coaches (try setting up a 17' HiLo next to a $300,000 rolling palace sometime - got attention with the whine of the hydraulic lift system!), lots of non-sealed openings/gaps that will let bugs in (sides bow out near bed, yep, I gotta get working on those the wife says!), tables too small (big sticking point with wife - will make new larger table ), fighting to get doors to latch right (another small 'fixit' job). We realize that it is a used unit and some things will require maintenance - luckily my wife's husband has a never ending 'honey do' list.

Overall, we got lucky with the price on this one - were looking for a used 27SL but none were near us, and some that we tried to buy were snatched up by others quickly. We actually were going to go look at a 33', and am I glad we got the 31 instead: didn't realize how big inside they are compared to our HiLo. Besides, with our tow vehicle this is about as large as we want to go and still be able to accelerate and travel at reasonable speeds.

Overall we are still somewhat dazed that a) our search is finally over, b) the size inside, c) letting go of the HiLo and good times we had, d) after all this trouble - can't camp with the TM 'cause it's too darn cold!!

We look forward to many happy days camping in the new 'long house' !

Glen and Laleh
Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Factor

Default Hi-Lo sold - TM Owner now

Your comparison of a 17' Hi-Lo to your present TM is like comparing apples to oranges. The 17' Hi-Lo is the smallest unit. You are right about the weight. Enjoy your TM.
John
Former 3023 TM owner, now 2505C Hi-Lo
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Scott O

A couple of tips that you might need immediately, especially since you mentioned some significant speed. They have been discussed forever on this forum. Your Tires are probably rated at 50 lbs pressure and 65 mph MAX. These are not arbitrary numbers and need to be followed completely. Or we will see you beside the road repairing damage from a blowout!!! Also, it is a stellar idea to get the tires balanced. And dig through this forum as there is an amazing amount of very useful info, especially for a newbe like me! The suggestions above are really the only things you must know up front...the rest you can learn at your leisure. Enjoy your TM, they are really a blast.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
bfezel

Glen and Laleh,

Welcome to the TM family. If you will join as a Site Sponsor you will find a wealth of good information that will enable you to get the maximum enjoyment and use from your TM. We bought a used 3123KS last year and I cannot begin to list how many improvements we have made based on information I've found on this forum.

A word of encouragement concerning the setup time. It does seem a little daunting at first. However, we quickly found on our maiden voyage (a 24 trip out west - we live in Tennessee) that things got much easier and quicker after 3-4 days. We split the responsibilities between outside (me) and inside (Frances). This works very well and is enhanced when we check after each other to make sure things are as they should be.

Setup is also fun with all the people who watch you - some sneak glances and others just openly stare. Good way to start a conversation and meet new folks. We have invited several to see the inside and they are usually amazed at how livable the TM is.

Trust that you will enjoy your unit as much as we do.

Oh yes...watch that long wheel base when turning. I got into a concrete light post in downtown Springfield, IL exiting a parking lot and our TM is now at the factory having the right front shell side replaced.

Bill
Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Traveler

Smile Thanks

The comparison between the HiLo and TM wasn't supposed to be apples to apples! Believe me, we are well aware of what living in a 14' box is like versus the TM. Didn't mean to make it sound like they are supposed to be anywhere near similar.

The tire thing - Thanks, I will have to check rating on these particular tires. I do know from talking with tire reps in the past that some of the max ratings are put there by their attorneys, but we generally do not travel at posted highway speeds when towing anyway. I had a blowout with the HiLo at 60 going downhill and it followed like a kitten. The tire shredded and took out part of the wheel well tho - easy duct tape fix!

I know the setup will get easier - just today I got lots of practice by forgetting to unlatch the slide out, then not putting the velcro seals up, then not sliding the chair out of the way - sigh.

One problem (?) I noticed and worked on: The top shell does not touch the bottom shell when the TM is folded all the way down and latched. I tried adjusting the side latches to make the bottom shell latch as high as it would go, and the top as low - but still have a good 1/2" gap between them. Any ideas would be appreciated - I fairly handy in fixing things. The nearest dealer is 200+ miles away.

Getting the shells to latch is a real bugger too: I weigh, well let's just say > 200 lbs and even bouncing in the stirrups takes a while to get the shells to latch. Is this an adjustment problem of the torsion bars?

We've been lurking here for almost a year - and plan to join very soon. I do appreciate all the tips and 'howdys', and hope to see you at our favorite campground (Bastendorf, Oregon) sometime!

Glen and Laleh
Old 12-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Glen (I'm assuming you are the > 200 pounder who posted!) -

If you look at the main latches (the ones with the black handles), you will see that they can be adjusted up and down. If you move them up 1/4 inch (it doesn't take much), you might find the shells a great deal easier to latch.

I really wouldn't mess with the torsion bars until you have had a good deal more experience. The test, I think, is this. When you pop the main latches (not the corner latches), the shells should spring up a small amount. If they don't spring up at all, then the torsion bars need to be cranked a bit toward the stronger end of the scale. If the shells pop up a foot, then the torsion bars are too strong, and might be dialed back. If they pop up 4-6 inches, then they should be good. In my experience, the factory does a pretty goods job of setting them.

And yes, the setup will get much easier and much faster. My wife and I have similarly distributed the jobs, and I am almost always done before she is. But we are both done in about 3 minutes.

You guys have a great attitude toward this whole thing, and you are going to LOVE your TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
BobRederick

Glen

I had my shells not coming together on the top as well.

I now believe they degraded with time due to not having my tires balanced. A note to the wise: have your tires balanced!

But while at the TM Jamboree in Colo Springs last year, the Car Co folks came around and did things to our TMs. They found my torsion bars needed a lot of adjustment and WOW! What a difference it made. My TM has a latch on the roof and they replaced it with one having a different reach to close the top. Those guys really know how to do it and they find something not quite right and know just which adjustment to work on. I think each bar has adjustments for torque and stop position. But my TM opens ever so much better and it closes tightly now. Also, having balanced the tires, it seems to be holding the settings now.

Best wishes on getting yours adjusted.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Scott O

One more thing about tires (a subject I have become rather paranoid about for no real reason!). I have seen it recommended in many places that the tires have a useful life of 5 years. I note that you have an '01 so if they are original it might be something to look at. As far as setting/take down goes, just be slow and methodical and divide the jobs as others have said. Set up and take down become second nature and soon you will be professionals at it. Enjoy and please keep us posted as to your progress and adventures!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Traveler

Signed up as member yesterday, glad to be onboard.

Thanks for the tips,

The shells pop up about 6" OK when I unlatch the black levers. They seem to pull open OK - not too much strength needed. I adjusted all the travel I could out of the latch brackets, and this took the gap from 2-3" down to 1/2" or so - still have a gap tho. Just need an extra 1/4" in the lever bracket slots - but they are at max adjust. I am worried that snow/rain will get in so am going to park it with tongue slanted up, and cover the gap with a tarp for the winter. Have to figure out by next spring/summer if I can either adjust something or make/buy new brackets with more adjustment travel.

The shells close hard - as in, it takes all I've got to compress them down enough to latch. I think I will make a hand hold bracket (if it will fit or can make it removable) to grab onto for the bottom shell as there is nothing to grab for balance when dancing on the stirrup. If there was a way to balance all my weight then the closing would be much easier.

The top shell is easier as I can grab onto the top of the shell (not the awning) for extra oommpphhh.

The tires are new this year. I replace my trailer/boat tires every 5-7 years anyway since they rot out due to sun exposure. Cheap insurance. The previous blowout I had was from a low pressure tire (inflated 25 lbs instead of 50). When one goes, they both get replaced. The TM was fully serviced when we bought it this week. Had great service at Stiers RV in Bakersfield CA. The salesman even called today to check up on how my 700 mile trip back went.

Wife and I were discussing the TM today, and already making plans for modifications, etc..

Thanks again!

G&L
Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
...Getting the shells to latch is a real bugger too: I weigh, well let's just say > 200 lbs and even bouncing in the stirrups takes a while to get the shells to latch. Is this an adjustment problem of the torsion bars?
Glenn, since you bought your unit "used" did anyone give you a "walk-thru" on how to open, close and set up the TM?

One of the first things we learned, and see it mentioned occasionally on this board, is that you should close the back shell first from the "curb side". After it is latched, go to the street side and latch it. Then lower the front shell, latching the curb side first, then the street side. Since the door is on the curb side, you have a little more leverage when latching. Doing it this way, DW took the curb side, I took the street side, so we didn't have to do a lot of extra "running around" when closing up.

It sounds as though you need to have the torsion bars checked and adjusted by an experienced dealer. That will certainly make the process easier.