TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
PopBeavers

I think California is a long way from you.

If our son (26), his bride (27) and our daughter (29) go with us, we take two trucks. One tows the TM and the other carries 3 motorcycles and tows an ATV trailer with 2 ATVs on it.

When it is just the two of us, I want to be able to put one ATV in the bed of the truck and then still take my motorcycle. My son and I can load the motorcycle alongside the ATV in the truck, but I can not do that alone. Thus my interest in the carrier.

We added the 2500HD long bed, because the 2 seater ATV is too long to fit in the 1500HD truck with the 6.5 foot bed and still tow the TM.

The hitch system I pointed out is designed to tow a 7,000 pound ski boat behind a truck and camper, where the camper sticks out 4 feet behind the rear bumper of the truck. I only need about 2 feet to carry the motorcycle. I contacted the factory regarding using it on the 1500HD and they advised against it because the 1500HD does not have a strong enough frame. You need a 2500 to use a long extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I have been looking at the receiver hitch carriers for my Kawasaki dual-sport. I studied the Versa-haul one below, which would also allow you to hook a trailer to it. The literature for it says it can only pull 3,000 lbs.

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

I believe you would need a minimum of a class IV receiver (which I do have) on your tow vehicle or one like PopBeavers posted, to even safely consider the combination weight of the bike and the Tmanor's tongue hooked up to it, if anyone went with a rear type receiver like this because of the downsides of having a front mounted one.

They may build other receiver type hitches that have more towing capacity that you could check into.

In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth the risk of possibly losing my bike and/or trailer, if it broke. Bought a pair of aluminum ramps instead, and just load the bike in the bed of the truck.

Hey PopBeavers, we got to meet up some time and ride/camp together, now that I know you also have a dual-sport.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I think California is a long way from you.
As soon as my short term investments (aka the lottery) pays off, I plan to travel all around the US, even California. Ya need to get down here to experience the swamps of LA (that's Louisiana, not Los Angeles).

There is a lot of talk of these hitch type carriers on one of the motorcycle forums I frequent. I'll snoop around there and see what all was said about types, brands, etc.....or if there was just some other kind of other option available. If I find anything good, I'll post it here.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Mike Watters

I stopped looking seriously at these types of carriers after I double checked the van's manual for their recommended max tongue weight. Doesn't really matter that the hitch is rated for 500 if the vehicle doesn't want you having more than 350 back there.

Given that even a small bike (like a 250-500) is going to weigh something like 350lbs - and the carrier itself is another 100 - you're WAY past the vehicle's limit and nearly to that of the hitch itself. I don't see these as safe or advisable for anything but the smallest of scooters or dirtbikes.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
I stopped looking seriously at these types of carriers after I double checked the van's manual for their recommended max tongue weight. Doesn't really matter that the hitch is rated for 500 if the vehicle doesn't want you having more than 350 back there.

Given that even a small bike (like a 250-500) is going to weigh something like 350lbs - and the carrier itself is another 100 - you're WAY past the vehicle's limit and nearly to that of the hitch itself. I don't see these as safe or advisable for anything but the smallest of scooters or dirtbikes.
When I connect the TM to the back of the truck, the truck sags about 5/8 of an inch. I think I can tolerate more sag than that.

My dual sport motorcycle weighs about 290 pounds. I might be able to do it, but I agree with you if you are trying to carry a Harley.