TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
bebotx

Lightbulb Tip for traveling with fresh eggs

I can't remember where I learned this, but it has worked for me for years. Instead of keeping eggs in the carton or even one of those plastic egg carriers made for camping, I crack my eggs into a leakproof Rubbermaid-type container for liquids with a screw top. I do this before I leave, and put the container in the ice chest or the pre-cooled TM fridge.

The eggs will stay separated and you can then pour out one whole egg at a time as needed, you never need to worry about broken or cracked eggs, and it saves valuable fridge or ice chest space.

The trick is not to break the yolk, so if you want to be extra sure that your eggs will pour out one at a time, you could break each egg into a measuring cup first and then pour it in the container. I can get about a dozen large eggs into a pint-size Rubbermaid container, which fits in the door shelves of my TM fridge.

I hope you find this helpful!

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

This is a great idea. I started doing a variation of this just this summer, after 45 years of camping. It's one of those smack yourself on the forehead kind of things. We camped for a week, so I split my 18 eggs up into 3 containers. I just shook up 6 at a time for scrambled eggs when the rest of 'the tribe' joined us.Glad to hear about 'pouring' out one at a time. Thanks.Olga (Northwoods)
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
bebotx

Olga, that's a great idea to shake them up in smaller batches. Just add omelette ingredients to the container, shake, and pour into the pan to cook.

Another plus is after the container is empty and washed, you can use it or something else (hard to do with eggshells...)!

Betty
Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Catawbalea

Good point about the shells, chuckle. Another advantage is the ability to put more whites in the container than yolks. For scrambled or omelet I use 4 whites to just 2 or 3 yolks. While camping I would be stuck with a yolk in the shell and not knowing where to dispose of it. It is better to prepare at home. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

You may want to consider the potential health risk of combining or pooling eggs. This quote is from a public health bulletin:

Quote:
Pooled eggs are raw unpasteurized eggs that have been cracked and combined together. The food code requires a food service facility to crack only enough eggs for immediate service in response to a consumer’s order.

The reason behind not pooling of eggs is that raw eggs can carry Salmonella (S. enteritidis) and when combined and left for a period of time, this will allow the bacteria to grow. Therefore, the code limits the time to allow pooled eggs for a consumer’s order to be limited to 30 minutes.
The complete article may be found at:

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/foodsfty/eggs.htm
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
bebotx

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the safety reminder! I always cook my eggs "well done" or use them in recipes that cook them thoroughly (muffins, etc.). Even if not "pooled" there's a salmonella risk whenever eating eggs. Unless I'm cooking them, I buy pastuerized eggs from the grocery store.

Here's the guideline for cooking them from your source:
To lower the risk of getting sick from bacteria, cook both the egg yolk and the white until firm (145°F). There is a risk in eating "soft-boiled," "sunny side up," "over easy," or "soft scrambled eggs." There is also a risk in "from scratch" Caesar salad dressing or other foods made with raw or undercooked eggs. This can include soft custards, meringues on pies, Hollandaise Sauce, and even French toast. Raw cookie dough isn't safe, either.

When cooking or baking foods with eggs in them, you can be sure the bacteria have been killed if the temperature has reached 145°F or above.

"*Note: Some retail stores now carry pasteurized eggs for the home cook. Look in the refrigerator section. It should say, "pasteurized whole eggs" on the carton. Egg substitutes are also pasteurized.
Happy & healthy camping everyone!

Betty
Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Catawbalea

Thanks for the healthy egg tips. I wasn't familiar with the term 'pooled'.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
BrigCA61

Great ideas... I like using Egg Beaters or similar type eggs for 2 reasons. 1, great for lowering cholesteral in your diet and 2, they transport easily while camping. They taste great and cook up nicely. Of course, if you want sunny-side up eggs, you'll have to use the real thing.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
EMPTYNESTERS

Leon...I can't wait to try that!!! Thanks!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
sir1doc

Leon
we're camping with a large group next week and we take turns being "in charge" of feeding the herd. I can't wait to volunteer for breakfast duty and give it a try.