TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
jellis

Default Security of Your TM

Not sure this really belongs under "Maintenance/Cleaning" but couldn't find a better category. Probably not thinking too well at this point anyhow; we're still in shock and a little sick after finding this morning that our TM apparently has been stolen.

We just happened to stop by on our way home from lunch to check on the TM since we hadn't had it out since June. Drove into our computer-controlled, gated, security-fenced, TV-taped storage facility to find nothing but our two chocks in our TM's parking space. The TM had its tongue lock installed and one latch was padlocked when we last left it.

The point of all this is to offer a couple of lessons: 1) apparently no storage facility is theft-proof, so carefully consider what you leave in the trailer, and 2) the "deadbolt" type tongue lock is no deterrent. The policeman who took our report just laughed when I told him the type of lock we used. Ironically, in checking all the other boats, campers, utility trailers, etc. in the facility, almost all had this type tongue lock installed. Needless to say, I will attempt to find a stronger lock for our replacement trailer when and if we are able to get one.

Just for reference, our TM is a 2006 3124KB, VIN 5NZBF311761005367 with Tennessee tag #27432TE, should anyone see one being offered for sale cheap.

Please, don't take security lightly. I never had a thought it could happen to us.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
RCCBV1

Something else that might slow people down is a Fulton Trailer Keeper. Take a look at this site.

http://www.fultonperformance.com/mod...p=63&model=849

They can be purchased on Amazon, or other trailer suppliers.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
PopBeavers

How about a swing away tongue and take the tongue home.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Sorry to hear about your loss. To date, yours is the first post I've seen regarding the theft of a TM. I haven't read all the past posts on the forum and may have missed a reference to stolen TMs. Perhaps the surveillance cameras at the storage place will help in tracking down the trailer.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure what you mean by a "deadbolt" lock. We have the heavy cast-iron kind that fits around the front and top of the tongue with a locking pin that pushes up from underneath into the hole where the ball goes. Is that what you were using? If the police find it laughable I'd like to know about it.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
jellis

The lock you are describing is not the "deadbolt lock" to which I referred. See http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1621&src=SRQB for the one we bought. "Deadbolt" may be a brand name. I bought the package of two; one for the receiver and one for the trailer tongue. The tongue lock appears to be approximately the diameter of a padlock and appears to be hardened. It goes into holes that keep the ball cover from being lifted; hence the TV's ball hitch can't be locked onto the trailer. I can't say whether it was compromised by a bolt cutter, etc., or the trailer was just hauled off by another method. Your choice appears, in hindsight, to be the better one.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
How about a swing away tongue and take the tongue home.
Wayne -

Sounds like a really good idea. However, at least with the newer TMs, the hinge-side pin is not removable, so you can't actually take the tongue off the trailer.

I'm thinking that if the thieves use the special drawbar that Leon described, the best answer is going to be at the wheels, not at the hitch. Some kind of a "Denver boot" type apparatus. A good heavy chain as Leon described, with a good heavy padlock, would probably be a good solution. The chain should be arranged in such a way that neither the chain not the padlock can be brought near the ground. If it drapes on the ground, it allows a bolt-cutter to be set on the ground, where the thief steps on the handle to increase leverage. And the chain should probably go around a frame member or through the lift kit, so that removing the wheel does not remove the chain.

Or chain the rear bumper to the fencepost that is probably right behind your trailer.

All that being said, I have my TM in a similar lot, and haven't done anything to theft-proof it.

Jellis -

Sorry for your loss. For your conversations with the police, you are aware, I imagine, that your TM probably has the VIN in two places. At least mine does. One is a paper or foil sticker on the road side of the lower box. The other is a metal tag riveted to the frame at the tongue. If the thieves want to sell it, they will need to put on a new VIN in both places.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
solejnik

I have a hitch lock on my TM. Master has several:
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...3&template=app
Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
PopBeavers

For long term storage, like at a seasonal site or in a storage yard, anyone with a swing away tongue can just remove it and take it home. Too bulky for short term security like while camping for the weekend.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Coupler locks apparently give a false sense of security. You might want to review this thread, particularly Texas_Camper's post (number 2 in the thread).

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4664

Incidentally, on my current TM with the swing-away tongue, it is not possible to pull both pins. Only one is removable. So I pull that one pin and fold the tongue WAY back. The strange appearance will at least confuse a thief, although I'm not sure it will stop a dedicated one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote