TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
kchamb1206

Question Towing Capacity Automatic vs Std Trans

My friend wants to go from a pop-up to a TM, but the manual in his Ford F150 lists his towing capacity as only half of what it would be if it had an automatic transmission. Does anyone know why this is?

MaineMan
Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

IT'S A FORD THAT WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Rip
Old 12-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Windbreaker

You're old enough to remember when automatic trans. were rated way lower than manual. Well. . .the tides have turned. The automatics of to day are better built, heavier duty and are computer controlled. The computer control part is the biggie, it plays to the torque better than most humans do. It would be my guess that if your friend were a really good driver and was well attuned to feel, sound and gages he could do as well as the computer but the company can't rely on that being the case.

I have a brother in law that got a heavy duty 350 for pulling heavy horse trailers and ordered a manuel for that thinking they would do more. The salesman, his brother and I all told him that was not the case anymore but you know brother in laws, had to have it his way. Well, two years later, he traded again and got the automatic. Said it was the best thing he ever did. (he also hunts without earplugs, couldn't hear what his motor was doin' if he tried)
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Also, like automatics, the "big-3" usually offer more than one standard transmission. We towed a 27' 5th wheel for 10 yrs and 80,000 miles with a light3/4 Chevy PU equipped with a HD 5sp stick shift. Our clutch/trans was rated for 16,000 lbs and was the same one used in much larger trucks. The clutch/stick shift offered in their 1500 at the time was much smaller and was the same one used in (and probably developed for) their S-10 pickups. Those weren't rated to tow much.

There are still 18-wheelers on the road with standard transmissions so it IS possible to make one that will pull a TM. You also hear a lot about clutch failures but we drove our chevy for 127K mi before selling it and the clutch was still good.

Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Weak Clutches and Torque multiplication

I heartily agree with the comments above about low-rated clutches (and transmissions) being standard equipment on 1/2 ton (or smaller) manual tranny trucks and SUVs. Unless the vehicle is equipped with a heavy duty clutch/tranny, it simply can't handle the inevitable slippage that happens when you first try to get moving with a heavy trailer, particularly on a steep grade.

I also heartily agree with Bill about automatics being better from a torque standpoint. One of the best things about an automatic is the fact that the torque converter provides around a 2X torque multiplication when you need it most (i.e. starting from a standstill).

For a given engine and axle ratio, an automatic will get a "rig" moving much better and with far less trauma to the drivetrain than will a clutch/manual tranny. Yes, once moving, there can be some advantages to a manual in terms of longevity, control, engine braking, efficiency, etc....but I happily traded that for the ability to easily start moving (especially on steep grades or when backing uphill into a tight spot).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
grampa

Default My 2 cents worth

Before you buy, check the owners manual for the specific vehicle you are buying. MY Brother -in law was going to buy a chevy 1500, small v-8, auto tranny. Before he signed on dotted line he checked the manual.
There were 2 1/2 pages of engine, transmission, and rear axle ratio combinations vs. GWR, GCWR, tow weights,etc. He has a 4800lbs Coachmen. The truck he was going to buy had a 3.50 rear axle. Guess what. The manual said 3700 lbs. tow capacity. The salesman nearly dropped his teeth. With a 3.90, or 4.10 axle ratio the truck was rated at 5000lbs. An eye opener for all of us.
Bro-in-law bought a chev 1500 with big v-8, auto-tranny, and 3.73rear axle. Tow capacity is 7800 lbs.
My point is, for the specific vehicle you are looking at, just because the salesman says it will tow so much, is not necessarily true.
Check the ratings in the owners manual before you buy. My 2 cents worth.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
kchamb1206

Default Towing Capacity Automatic vs Std Trans

I thank you all. I now have a wealth of arguments for my Ford friend who feels he has been cheated.

A related story: Once as a youth I was riding with an uncle in a truck carrying 21,000 pounds of lime. Problem was the truck was rated for 14,000 pounds, we had to go up a steep mountain called Dixmont mountain (in Maine) and the truck was not a smooth shifter. Out of torque in second gear near the top of the mountain, my uncle went for first gear and missed. He could not get it in gear and the truck began rolling backwards. Brakes would not hold it because he was messing with the shifter and it got rolling on him. He steered the truck into the high side bank, the lime shifted, and the truck tipped over in the road. Good news is we didn't take a ride down the side of the mountain. An automatic tranny might have done better in this situation.

MaineMan