TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2023, 10:16 PM   #1
EZCAMPER

Default RV Totes

Does anyone have experience with using a tote? What is the best size, features etc. How do you carry it. I'm thinking of laying the gas tanks down like the KS models (we have a KB) and relocating the battery to create a space to carry it on the tongue. I'm thinking that a 12 to 15 gallon would work. Larger ones seem hard to handle.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
EZCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I have this 12 gallon model from Thetford…

Thetford 40505 https://a.co/d/gOrmiG5

It is just enough to dump the SeaLand toilet. I can stow it on the spare tire rack underneath the camper.

HOWEVER- It comes with no accessories whatsoever, including a tow strap to drag it behind your tow vehicle.

https://a.co/d/60p2pVP

By the time you buy a small sewer hose and adapters etc you probably could get a bigger toter but then you run into storage issues and height issues. The dump plumbing on a TM is pretty low to the ground and the inlet attachment on a lot of the toters out there are taller than the dump plumbing. Of course the other reason I bought this one is because I got it for super cheap new in box on CL.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I have a larger model... used it a couple of times (I carry it in the back of my truck, although I've thought of the "Tire rack" option. It solves a problem...And causes a few more. When full it is VERY heavy, cumbersome, and not easy to empty. (And I can never seem to get it completely empty).
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
JohnMD

Shane,

When stowing this on the tire rack, do you need to lower the tire rack to access it, or is there clearance to slide in and you strap it in somehow?

John
Old 04-10-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
rich2468
Site Sponsor

I carry a Camco 28 gallon tote on its side between the propane tanks and my tongue jack on my 2922KB. It's a tight fit, but the perfect place (for me) to store the large size waste tote.

I've towed around 10K miles in two years with the tote stored as it is. I have foam plumbing pipe insulation attached to the rack to cushion the tank.

I'm attaching photos of the test fit of the rack and a view of the tank when we're under tow.

The location is tight but doable for even the large tank I have. (I'm not aware of larger size tanks and the 28 gallon size just fits while wrapped in a protective tarp and smoker cover.)

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

I have a 21 gallon Camco Rhino. Comes with all of the accessories. Had a 15 gal one with my other trailer but it had a very small grey tank. I am putting in a poor man's Sealand this spring, so thought it would be nice to bump the volume up a bit.

I found it very easy to use, emptied completely. Thought about a 28 gal one, but too big and unwieldy for me to deal with on my own. The 21 gal is small and light enough that i can put it in the back of the 4Runner when traveling, or on the roof rack (haven't tried that yet, but might be the best option), or even inside when traveling. Would likely never transport it "on the road" with anything in it, but could put it in the back of the truck and fill and empty with the portable macerator (did that a couple of times with the 15 gal one and worked fine) if there was no dump station on site.

I don't dry camp unless necessary - this is a rolling motel room for me and the dogs when I visit family back east so i go for full hook-ups. But the local campground only has a dump site, no full sewer at the pad, so the tote is necessary.

From what i have read, seen and used, I recommend the Rhino. Solid, well built and comes with everything.