TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
Househunterlives

Default Bathroom wall electric master switch

So I have our TM 3024 setting in the drive way. All setup and no shore power connected. It's dark and I can see a red light on top of the camper on. Its the FM antenna showing its on. But the radio is off. Went inside and closed the bathroom wall. Light on the antenna goes out. So there is a master power switch where the bath shower wall meets up. I would like to move that to a switch next to the door. So when we setup camp. I can reach in and turn on the power so the lights outside can work. Be helpful to have the outside lights work while trying to setup camp on a late arrival.
Tried searching to see if anyone has done this. Do away with the safety / master power switch on the bath shower wall. Seems it would be a matter of just relocating that connection to a manual switch. I would have it so the switch would light up when its on. We had the same feature on our Class A. We would always turn it off when we left the camper.
Househunterlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Househunterlives View Post
So I have our TM 3024 setting in the drive way. All setup and no shore power connected. It's dark and I can see a red light on top of the camper on. Its the FM antenna showing its on. But the radio is off. Went inside and closed the bathroom wall. Light on the antenna goes out. So there is a master power switch where the bath shower wall meets up. I would like to move that to a switch next to the door. So when we setup camp. I can reach in and turn on the power so the lights outside can work. Be helpful to have the outside lights work while trying to setup camp on a late arrival.
Tried searching to see if anyone has done this. Do away with the safety / master power switch on the bath shower wall. Seems it would be a matter of just relocating that connection to a manual switch. I would have it so the switch would light up when its on. We had the same feature on our Class A. We would always turn it off when we left the camper.
Some have done it. Just be aware that it is a fire risk.

If you forget to turn off a rear roof ceiling light before you close the camper down, there is a real risk of a fire. That's why they installed that "Safety Switch" where they did.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #3
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

The fire risk comes from the heat of the incandescent bulbs in the light fixtures that lay directly on the surface of the bed when the TM is closed. There have been photos of the damage done by these lights when left on in a closed trailer. Having said that, I eliminated the bathroom wall switch but have made a couple of changes that make it safer, in my opinion.

The first change is simple, easy and beneficial to the trailers electrical system overall; I changed out all light fixtures to LED's. They don't generate anywhere near the amount of heat as the incandescent bulbs and won't, I believe, burn the mattress in the event they were left on in the closed position.

I also added a DC breaker panel to control each circuit on the TM and have it on or off as decided by me, not by the trailer. It is my habit to turn off unused circuits before I leave the trailer, always. The top two are the lights and it is a simple matter to de-energize them prior to close up. Much easier than pulling a fuse in the original configuration.

So, you can certainly bypass that safety switch but it is best to understand the implications and mitigate the concerns of those that installed it. That part is up to us as owners.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote