TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
If you can find a good location that will not interfere with anything inside, what about drilling all the way through and securing with small bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts? Using a good adhesive/sealer of course. Not that I have tried this before, but just wondering if anyone has.

Any kind of tape seems like begging for a missing camera somewhere down the road, IMO.
If you don't feel comfortable with the (time tested) 3M VHB tape. You might consider "nutserts" or "Rubber expansion nuts".

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...80160213&psc=1

Many automobile manufacturers used to use these to install factory roof racks.

As far as running hole through the roof, with nuts on the inside........ that would require some rather large backing plates on the inside to keep from compressing the styrofoam core in the roof.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:19 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrolla View Post
not to hijack this thread, but can that tape be used to fasten kayak mounts to the top of the trailer?
Strength questions aside, remember that if you carry kayaks on the roof of the TM, you probably have to remove them before you can set up the TM. Unless the yaks are super light, the torsion bars won't be strong enough to lift them. And if they straddle the gap between the shells, they certainly have to come off. Not handy if you arrive at a campsite in the rain or after dark - or both.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:39 AM   #13
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I used to ponder the idea of kayaks on the TM roof. Then I realized a few reasons not to. Bill’s reason is one. We tend to arrive late. Second, I’ve already had saggy roofs. I want to be up around the roof as little as possible. Last, unless you’re camping directly on the water, you’re going to load the kayaks on top of the TM, unload when you get to camp, then load the kayaks on top of the car to get to the water, and finally unload again when you get there. Seems like a lot of extra steps.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:57 AM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrolla View Post
not to hijack this thread, but can that tape be used to fasten kayak mounts to the top of the trailer?
I just remembered that a friend of mine made a kayak roof rack for his Coleman pop-up.

The rack was removeable and it didn't touch the roof anywhere. The forward part of the rack was mounted to the trailer tongue and the rear part was mounted to the rear bumper. The entire rack (kayaks & all) came off in one piece. He had sockets on the tongue and rear bumper and the rack came off by simply pulling a pin out of each leg of the rack. He designed it so that he could put kayaks or bicycles on it.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:07 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

For a number of years, we had a pair of 13-foot Old Town fiberglass cruising kayaks. Kind of heavy, almost 50 pounds each. We carried them on the roof of our Explorer, which had roof rails, to which we added cross bars. It worked well, especially since we didn't have to unload them until we were ready to launch. After we traded the Explorers for a pickup truck, I made a rack that dropped into the stake pockets. Also worked well.

I would do either of these rather than carry the yaks on the roof of the TM. Your choice, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote