TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Heidi94596

Default Extension mirrors for toyota Tacoma truck

My mirror extension purchased from camping world is broken on the drivers side. I prefer this as i can open my window and push it in place vs the passenger side with no passenger.

Toyota does not have mirrors that are permanently replaced. So i have to manage with the extension.

What is a good replacement brand? Unfortunately, my TM is wider then my truck and I can not see to the sides or to the back without the extension mirrors.
**Looking for good mirror extension brands.
Heidi94596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

On the advice I got here, I got mckesh mirrors. They can stick out farther than most extension mirrors, and don't vibrate like many cheaper ones do. They also come with a separate convex mirror, but I never installed that one. They are finicky to set up the first time, but I found that once I got the sweet spot, I didn't usually have to adjust them again, even after removing them.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I ordered some aftermarket towing mirrors for my 07 Tacoma, off of Ebay, 5 years or so ago. I don't know the brand, but they were made in Taiwan. The only identifier I could find on the box they came in was that they came from some place called "1A Auto" on Ebay.

They have worked fine for me. Fit right in the existing mount holes and plug in compatible with the original power mirrors. Black mat plastic housing vs. the original color matched ones, but they extend out for towing and back in for normal.

Another place to check is an owners forum called "TacomaWorld", if you haven't seen it before. Lots of parts for swap and sell on there.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Since we're talking of extension mirrors, it is a good time to resurrect this old thread
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=3658
especially the sketch in the first post. I won't tow unless this sketch is satisfied.

I've had two sets of McKesh mirrors. Among other reasons, I got them because, as Larry pointed out, they stick our real far - I can see each side of the TM all the way back, including the tires and the entry door, as well as straight down the adjacent lane, all the way back. I like that - a lot.

There is a knock-off mirror available from CIPA, Model 11650. Looks identical, but it is not. The mirrors won't spread as wide, so even on my relatively wide F-150, I can't see the sides of the TM. I really dislike having a blind spot next to the TM.

Beyond that, both the McKesh and the CIPA are attached using nylon straps that hook under the lower edge of the door. To attach the mirror, you place the hook and turn a crank that tightens the strap. For the mirror on the passenger's side, the crank handle is on the rear-facing side of the mirror platform, so it is easy to get at, and easy to crank. But if you take a second identical mirror around to the driver's side, the crank handle now faces forward. As can be seen in the attached photo from a CIPA video, the handle is blocked by the structure of the truck's OEM mirror, and it is nearly impossible to crank it. On the McKesh mirror, the crank is easily removed and reversed so it points to the rear, just where you want it. The crank on the CIPA mirror cannot be reversed - you are stuck with a forward-facing crank. Oops! Back to CIPA they went.

Spotter mirrors. On my truck, the spotter mirror on the driver's side is adequate. But I do need one on the passenger's side. For my first set of McKesh, I bought a cheap spotter mirror and attached it where it was needed using a stainless steel screw clamp. That worked well. With my new set of McKesh, I bought their spotter, and I am not pleased with it. The intended location, and the mounting hardware, are completely wrong. I'm going to have to take it off and once again use a screw clamp to put it where it is needed. If you buy McKesh, you might omit their spotter.

So I still like the McKesh mirrors. The field of view in the wide spread panels is important to me. But I wish I could make a change to the spotter.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIPA 11650.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	19214  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

We also tow with a Tacoma and after experiencing badly made extension mirrors that were both too short and vibrated horribly, we switched to some Milenco Grand Aeros and have been very pleased - much better field of view and more stable. I'm never good at getting links in here but I'll try and it should be google-able: https://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors

We have the mirrors rotated sideways or 'landscape view' compared to what is shown on their website. Having good mirrors has changed our towing from a stressful event to a normal drive.

We have recently paired them with a rear-facing always-on camera because there are folks in small cars who tailgate and are pretty much invisible, then pull out suddenly right when we want to change lanes.
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

There is something I had never considered for towing mirrors and factory extendable mirrors such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyot.../dp/B01DA7X8KS

With my McKesh mirrors, they extend out very far so I can see the same point 200 feet behind the trailer. (This is a legal requirement in at least some states.) Besides that, having my regular mirrors and towing mirrors allows
(a) me to keep the stock mirrors in the original position so I can see what is beside my truck
(b) me to adjust the towing mirrors separately so I can see that point 200 feet behind the trailer.

If you use factory extendable mirrors, you will lose the ability to see what is immediately beside your truck. If you have a vehicle that you missed coming up on your right side and is now sitting in your blind spot, you could miss it completely with the factory extendable mirrors because they are directed farther out to see behind the trailer. I have had on occasion seen something in the Tahoe mirror that was not visible on the towing mirror. And don't forget, modern trucks and SUVs have more blind spots than ever before. I used to drive a full sized Mercury Grand Marquis. It had to go in for service for a week because some one hit me broadside. They gave us a Toyota Corolla as a loaner. That car was so bad for visibility out the back, even my wife who hates driving big cars said my Mercury was easier to drive than that Toyota. That says something.

Anyway, having two sets of mirrors (factory and towing) has a huge advantage that I never considered before. Sure, strap on towing mirrors don't look fashionable, but for me safety is first.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
SirDrake

I will second what J_Norris said about the Milenco mirrors.
We too have a set of the Grand Aero mirrors that we use with our Infiniti QX56 when towing our TM.
We have used them for about five years now and I love them.
They are easy to install and remove, provide good visibility, and exhibit very little vibration.
My 2 cents.
TrailManor: 2004 2720SL | Kenwood Stereo/Polk Speakers/Sharp 22" LCD/Winegard Wingman/AC/Fiamma Awning/Electric Tongue Jack/Over Sink Cabinet/Shower Mod/Optima D34M Marine Battery
SirDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrake View Post
I will second what J_Norris said about the Milenco mirrors.
We too have a set of the Grand Aero mirrors that we use with our Infiniti QX56 when towing our TM.
We have used them for about five years now and I love them.
They are easy to install and remove, provide good visibility, and exhibit very little vibration.
My 2 cents.
My thanks to both of you - I have ordered them.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
Heidi94596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
On the advice I got here, I got mckesh mirrors. They can stick out farther than most extension mirrors, and don't vibrate like many cheaper ones do. They also come with a separate convex mirror, but I never installed that one. They are finicky to set up the first time, but I found that once I got the sweet spot, I didn't usually have to adjust them again, even after removing them.
Thank you. I will purchase them. I can not see behind my camper. Only can see behind when changing lanes. I can not see anything when backing up. I am usually a single traveler.
Heidi94596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
Larry W

Default Back Camera

Have you thought about a back camera? I added a wired camera so that I can see whatever is close behind me. (Including tailgaters.) Also good for seeing anyone coming up quickly, or changing lanes as they approach.
Larry W is offline   Reply With Quote