TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default How to properly do a search?

I have never been able to figure out how to find things with search. I always get all kinds of unrelated posts and maybe a few on topic. Like now I am trying to see how often people are replacing their water filters. What am I doing wrong?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

If you put a "+" between each word, then all the words must appear in the post. However, I have not found a way to search only for the sequence "replace water filter".

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
ChillEDog

Don't worry, searching can be confusing. Plus, the way search is implemented can vary from website to website.

I just did some quick tests on this site. Enclosing in quotes (ie "water filter" instead of water filter) did not seem to make a difference. By "no difference" I mean, you get the same results either way. On most search engines, enclosing in quotes means, the exact phrase must exist.

What I generally do is use Advanced Search, and I select the option to Search Titles Only. This way, "water" and "filter" must appear in the title, which is more likely to be what I'm looking for. Without this option, I am telling the site to return any message that merely has the two words in the body of the post, which could include messages that are not about water filters at all.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Using + and Search Titles Only in advanced search made a big difference.

Thanks

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
TammyandTony

Default You can also use Google

It may just be that I'm used to Google search.
You can go to google.com and end your search term with site:www.trailmanorowners.com this will allow quoted phrases.

Thus "propane tank" site:www.trailmanorowners.com will give threads with the phrase propane tank , and not just tank or just propane.
2021 Jeep Gladiator
TammyandTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
clan_salmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyandTony View Post
It may just be that I'm used to Google search.
You can go to google.com and end your search term with site:www.trailmanorowners.com this will allow quoted phrases.

Thus "propane tank" site:www.trailmanorowners.com will give threads with the phrase propane tank , and not just tank or just propane.
Bless you for this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately, however, I believe the Google search method only accesses publicly available parts of the site. Via a quick test, none of the technical sections accessible by signing in appear to be searched.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
clan_salmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Unfortunately, however, I believe the Google search method only accesses publicly available parts of the site. Via a quick test, none of the technical sections accessible by signing in appear to be searched.

Dave
Makes sense. I tested on a BMW forum. Worked great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote