TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 AM   #1
MawCraig

Default McKesh mirrors

We have just reviewed some previous posts about the McKesh mirrors. From all of the positive comments, these seem to be the ones to get. We do have a few questions, though.

1. We have a 1995 Ford Explorer. Is anyone using the McKesh on this model? Any fit problems?

2. We read some comments about the rubber window seal being crimped by the upper clamp. Someone mentioned inserting a pencil or dowel under the clamp for support. Does this really protect the seal and allow it to hug the window so that rain doesn't leak inside the door.

3. Can our windows be lowered and raised with the mirrors attached?

4. Most of you said you ordered these from Henley. Has anyone ordered from other sources at a better price?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Re:McKesh mirrors

I don't think that there is anything peculiar about the Ford Ranger that would prevent it from working.

I was the one who recommended the dowels, and they work fine for me on my Chevy Astrovan. The dowels do prevent permanent seal deformation.

The window goes up and down without any problem.

Is it going to let some rain into the door? Probably a small amount, but your car should have some way for the water to drain out the bottom of the door even when you don't use the mirrors.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/xcart/customer/home.php This is the manufacturer from what the website implies and I would recommend going directly with them in case there is a problem. Easier to deal with them, though I didn't have a problem. Ask about the $119 promotional deal. I would be surprised if you could save much more than that. They are worth every penny in my opinion.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
MawCraig

Thanks for the response, Bob.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

By the way, just be aware that you may have to re-adjust the mirrors after closing the doors each time because the vibration often causes them to go out of alignment. Once on the road you're fine. I wish there was a way to lock them in place so it wouldn't happen.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Larry_Loo

[quote author=BobWilson link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg12598#msg12598 date=1080065402]
By the way, just be aware that you may have to re-adjust the mirrors after closing the doors each time because the vibration often causes them to go out of alignment. Once on the road you're fine. I wish there was a way to lock them in place so it wouldn't happen.
[/quote]

Bob, I don't have this problem with my McKesh mirrors. In fact, at night I'll take them off and put them inside my Ford pickup. In the morning I'll mount them again and they usually don't need adjustment. Try tightening the mirrors in place and you may solve your problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bob -

You are right. Most likely this will always be a bit of a problem. Tightening the adjustment bolts on the mirror heads helps some. But a major part of the solution is to learn to close the doors more gently. My wife is a natural-born door slammer, and each time she closed her door, the mirror would end up pointed off into space somewhere. After we convinced her to close the door gently, many fewer adjustment sessions have been needed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Windbreaker

Bill, are we married to the same woman? I've never had to adjust the driver's side but after every stop it is "to the right, up just a touch, oh too much."

Old 03-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
MawCraig

And I was about to ask if my husband was on this board, using a couple of different aliases!!! hahaha
Old 03-24-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
MawCraig

Because of all of the recommendations on this board about the McKesh mirrors, we ordered a set from Hensley yesterday. Thanks again to all of you for your comments. It is reassuring to be able to base decisions on real information from folks who use a product, instead of having to rely on manufacturers' or retailers' advertising hype.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:32 AM   #10
MawCraig

We just got back from our first trip using the McKesh mirrors. What a difference they make!! We now join the ranks of those who highly recommend getting these mirrors.