TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Pizzaleg

Default New owners of Tm

???My Wife and I are new owners of a 2003 TM 2619. We took it out for the first weekend. Everything worked great and we had fun testing everything. Our tow vehicle was my 2002 Chev Truck with the 4.8 Vortec. It towed just fine. Now, comes the part with my wifes Vehicle. She has a 2003 Pilot. We plan on getting the towing pkg from the dealer. Then having sway bars put on by the RV dealer. I recently read alot of comments by other TM owners Towing vehicle, and Weight plus people when towing. I am kind of second quessing myself if her vehicle will do the job. We had planned a trip from St.Louis to Durango, Grand Canyon, New Mexico and back St. Louie. Three adults, one teenager and stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you all as we are first buyers and just registered in this great forum.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:New owners of Tm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've got to agree with T_C -- but maybe more strongly.

I understand you to say that with the FACTORY towing package, the Pilot is rated for 3500 pounds of towing capacity. Does your Pilot actually have the FACTORY towing package? It sounds like you already own the Pilot, and you are going to ask the dealer to do a few aftermarket things to it. The dealer can do things like add trailer connector wiring, a transmission cooler, and maybe a Class 3 hitch receiver. [Will the Pilot accept a Class 3 hitch? The Honda web site doesn't sound like it.] But the dealer can't really add things like a bigger engine, heftier transmission, high-ratio rear end, and beefier suspension, which are the heart of good towing capability. So even after he has done his thing, you don't end up with the equivalent of the factory towing package.

Can you tell us what the dealer is going to do?
Can you tell us what the factory package would have included?
The Honda web site has a lot of info.

Even Motor Trend, that happy, happy friend of all new vehicles, says that "The Pilot's 3500-pound towing capacity means it could haul a pair of personal watercraft or small boat, but it won't challenge the more muscular body-on-frame SUVs." As T_C stated, if you scan the posts on this board, you will find that your TM will weigh close to 3500 pounds when you are ready to hit the road. And when you add 4 adults and all their stuff to the tow vehicle, you will almost certainly exceed the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the vehicle.

Your TM, and the people you are going to load in the vehicle, are just too much for the Pilot. Especially if you plan to get off the level plains and into the mountains. It has insufficient power, insufficient brakes, and insufficient wheelbase (see Ray's posts on this topic) for this application. If you push it, the best case is that you will beat your Pilot to an early death. The worst case is - well, worse. It just isn't meant for this.

Your Chevy truck with the 4.8 liter V-8 is probably good for this application - but don't subject your Pilot to this kind of abuse.

Sorry

Bill

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Pizzaleg

We appreciate the replies and help into this issue and Yes, we already own the Pilot. Guess we jumped into the trailer thing without having a proper TV besides my truck. From what the Honda dealer showed me, the Towing equipment package includes a hitch, ball mount, wiring harness, transmission fluid cooler and heavy-duty power steering fluid cooler. Factory install of the towing package I don't even know if it comes that way. Live and Learn. Thanks T_C and Bill. Guess we will be looking for a new TV, Any suggestions.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
camperboy

Thinking about a heavier TV is the right decision. The Pilot just isn't up to the job. Nice vehicle though.

For the new TV choose something with at least a BIG V6, better yet a V8 with ample capacity. A Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition would be good place to start. Maybe a 4 door pickup. Take your time and read through the board for lots of valuable info on weight and towing. You want to have enough rated towing ability (3500 for the Pilot) plus enough GVWR (the max the TV can weight, loaded with stuff, people, hitch and tongue weight) on the tow vehicle and GCVW (total weight of TV and TM, loaded with everything including people) overall. Once you start working the numbers you'll quickly see what size TV you need. Also, when shopping for the TV, consider if it will allow you to upgrade to a larger trailer, many people do.

Camperboy
Old 03-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

At this point it probably goes without saying, but if you buy a new tow vehicle, be sure to get the factory-installed towing package.

My suggestion (not everyone agrees) - your tow vehicle should have a tow rating of at least 6000 pounds if you are going into the mountains. Any mountains. My Explorer is rated 7300 pounds, and it is no more than adequate when we get into the high Sierras. In RockyMountainRay's country, it would gasp quite a bit. Beyond the fact that the hills are steep, altitude greatly reduces the power available from the engine, as well as the cooling efficiency of the various coolers and radiators.

The name of the game is margin. You won't regret having a lot of it.

Bill
Old 03-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
efelker

Pizza:

Toyota 4-Runner is also a good option. It's about comparable in size to your existing Pilot. The 2004 tow rating is 5,000 lbs for the V-6 and 7,000 to 7,300 for the V-8.

If you look at SUVs be sure that they are true truck chassis. Be cautious of most mid sized SUVs because they are really cars in SUV clothing -- as you've discovered with the Pilot.

Ed
Old 03-25-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
ccc6588

For going through the mountains, I would get something with at least 9000 lb towing capacity. Nissan Armada or Nissan Titan have towing package over 9000 lbs. Can't beat Japanese quality, but these are built in the US.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Pizzaleg

Well Folks,
I appreciate everyones input on our TV situation with the Honda Pilot. We worked a deal and traded in for a 2004 Chev Tahoe Z71 package. Which has the towing pkg, suspension,V8 and all around loaded even with on-star. We decided not to kill the honda, because we look forward to traveling for years and enjoying our TM. So Again, Thanks to you all and to the great group of people who make up this Forum.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Yowza! Now THAT'S a tow vehicle! Congratulations - you're going to love it!

Bill
Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
cardsfan39

While I guess you can never have too much towing capacity, you certainly don't need 9000 lbs to tow in the mountains. My Astro Van rated at 5500 lbs was more than adequate pulling up steep mountain passes in Colorado. There was no overheating problems going up and the brakes did fine going down the other side. Just keep it geared down so you only have to occassionally tap the brakes.

I don't think we need to scare the newbies into getting more tow vehickle than they need.