TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
jbeletti
Jim

Default Anyone using a Jeep Liberty as a TM TV?

I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty with a V6 and a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. Chatting with Chris T, sounds like I'd want to use a WD hitch with this short wheel base TV.

Are any of you using a Jeep Liberty as a TV for a Trailmanor? I'd like any feedback from those who have done it.

Thanks,

Jim in Addison, IL
(considering a TM purchase this winter)
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Anyone using a Jeep Liberty as a TM TV?

For the past 2 summers I towed a 2720SL with a '96 Jeep Cherokee. A WDH was absolutely needed with the Cherokee...I needed 750 lb bars to get the Jeep level with the TM attached (tongue weight of my TM is about 550 lbs). The Liberty is about the same wheelbase (and springing) as the Cherokee so I would presume a WDH is a necessity.

If your Liberty has the towing package, you should be OK towing one of the smaller TrailManors (2720 or 2619)...especially in the midwest. I would not, however, recommend doing so if you don't have the critical components of the towing package...namely a heavy duty radiator & a heavy duty transmission cooler (I presume you have an automatic transmission). Ideally you should also have lower axle gearing (somewhere around 3.9 gears).

I traded up to a pickup (Toyota Tundra V8) from my Cherokee for several reasons:
1. The short wheel base left little margin for control on tight curves on steeply descending mountain roads (I do nearly all of my towing in the Colorado Rockies).
2. My Jeep did not have the towing package and had a manual transmission. It tended to run warm on long climbs and had a not-good-for-towing 3.07 rear axle. Furthermore I eventually discovered that Jeep limited the manual tranny Cherokees to a maximum towing load of 2000 lbs (my TM weighs about 3700 loaded).
3. The 4.0 L engine, while fine for flatland towing, really didn't have enough torque for climbing mountain grades.

From my personal experience, I believe that Jeep somewhat overrates the towing capacity of their vehicles...realistically it's probably closer to 4300 lbs for the Liberty than the advertised 5000. Given that the realistic loaded weights of nearly all travel trailers is around 1000 lbs more than the manufacturer's weights...and the short wheelbase of the Liberty, I would not recommend any TM longer than the 2720 or maybe the 3023. The Liberty's 3.7L V6 is IMO on the low end of the scale for good towing...and Jeep automatic transmissions aren't renowned for holding up well when used extensively for towing. If you mostly travel on flat terrain...and regularly get the transmission serviced, you'll probably be just fine. But I can just about guarantee that both the engine and transmission will be working very hard on mountain roads...whether in the Appalachians, Rockies, or Sierras...your throttle will be wide open for sustained periods and you'll be struggling up the grades at about 35 mph.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
jbeletti
Jim

Thanks for the feedback and all the detail Ray.

I do have an automatic trans. but the Jeep does not have the tow package. I had a Draw-tite 2" frame hitch installed, but now see that it is a class II, model 36303. It is rated for 3500# of tow and 300# of tongue weight. I plan to add a trans. cooler and now it appears that I may need to change this frame hitch out for the class IV, model 75128 as I don't see a class III from them. Guess I could always switch brands too.

I agree, the 5000# towing capacity rating from Jeep is probably over-rated. Still, I should be in pretty good shape with many of the Trailmanor models - loaded.

I phoned Trailmanor today and asked to speak to someone about tow vehicles. They gave me Bill Hulsey - the owner. That was cool.

Bill felt that the Jeep Liberty would tow the TMs well. I asked about needing a WD hitch and he said that I might, we'd just have to see how much the front of the Jeep rises after the TM is hitched up. If it rises an inch or more, he said that a WD hitch will be needed.

Should I buy a TM this winter, I think we'll wait until the "pull home" to see if we're a definite candidate for a WD hitch.

Thanks again,

Jim

link to pictures of the Jeep hitch: http://home.comcast.net/~jbeletti/jeep/hitch_3.htm
Old 11-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
camperboy

Certainly is is your right to try out the Liberty without a WD hitch. But I wouldn't. Here is why.

I tow a 1990 M-26 (3023) with a Ford Ranger. Without the WD hitch the front end is light. I can feel it in the steering and in the braking - fronts tend to lock way too easy, resulting in the antilock system engaging. I'd hate to be in a emergency situation without it. This past summer on the way to Maine I was nearly sideswiped but another SUV who was almost literally being pushed into us by a tractor trailer. I needed to swerve left (thank God that lane was empty so I had somewhere to go) and brake as hard as possible to avoid a collision. This happened on the highway at 60 MPH. I think the outcome would have been a real mess without the hitch.

I use the Equalizer brand which incorporates sway control, which may or may not be needed with the TM, but that' s another issue. I've been very happy with it. Should you have interest in it I'd suggest the 1000lb model.

I prefer for the front end to not rise at all. If it rises, then weight is being taken off the front wheels. See above for why that's bad. The hitch set-up instuctions say that the TV should squat equally front and back when the trailer is hitched. Admittedly mine squats more in the rear, but the front does take some of the weight.

Also, take a loot at Rocy Mtn Ray's recent posts about his Jeep Cherokee. Similar vehicle and he's got some great information posted. Ray has it right.

Hope some part of that ramble is helpful. Perhaps the dealer would let you try it with and without a WDH when you buy the TM.

Camperboy
Old 11-09-2003, 06:32 AM   #5
bclark513

I am towing a 3124KB with a 2003 Jeep Liberty. My Liberty came with the factory tow package installed and is rated for 5,000 lbs. Since we have had the TM we have taken two trips one to the Blue Ridge Mountains. on both trips the Liberty & the TM did fine but the front end is a little light on the Liberty. so for our next trip this Thanksgiving I have purchased a WD hitch (Equal-i-zer) to use.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
jbeletti
Jim

bclark, camperboy and rockymtnray,

Thank you all for your feedback - especially on the WD hitch. I am definitely getting one for my Liberty. I'll repost when I have decided on a brand and model and of course, again once I pull the 3023 home from the dealer in January.

Jim
Old 11-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
Russ-Bett

The use of WD hitch has been a frequent theme on this board. It helped me to make a decision to buy one -- a Reese with 1200 lb. bars.

We tried towing without a WDH, but found that when using one, the towing was much more pleasant even though I tow with a F-150 with a factory installed tow package.

The main advantage is the lessing of the "up and downing" of the trailer on rough roads. (If you really want a truely bouncey ride, try highway 78 going from Harrisburg to Allentown, PA -- the WDH saved the day on that section of highway). I wouldn't travel without one even though I'm only pulling a 2619.

BTW, although we have been on some of the major highways in the East, we have never had a sway problem -- we do not have a sway control bar. Again, if you want to test whether you might have a sway problem, travel on highway 81 through Virginia -- I call it the "Road of 100 Thousand Trucks." -- mile after mile of being surround, literally, by 18 wheels -- yet never one hint of sway.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #8
jbeletti
Jim

Russ-Bett,

Thanks for your insight on WD hitches. I have dismissed getting the Equalizer and will probably fo with the Reese models my TM dealer sells. He;s quoted me $450 installed. I assume that includes the shank and ball. Hope that's a decent price.

Take care,

Jim
Old 11-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
mamabear

Jim.
Is that everything or just the bars, clamps ?

mamabear
Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
rixalex

Does anybody have anything they can add since the last post in November regarding the Jeep Liberty? We've spent weeks looking for the "right" tow vechicle and we really like the Liberty--primarily because of it's compact size and off-road ability. Most everything else is either too large, too expensive, not rated for a class III hitch or it gets horrible gas mileage (true, 20mpg for the Liberty isn't great, but it's better than most other choices). The other options we're considering are the Trailblazer and the V-8 Explorer. This vehicle is going to be my wife's daily driver and she's not interested in driving a pickup, mini-van, van or a large SUV. We both feel very strongly about buying "Made in USA" products whenever possible, so Toyotas, Touaregs and Trabants (kidding) are out. Any additional feedback thay you can provide on the Liberty would be great. Thanks.