TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
modhatter

Default Locking pins on hitch

I read somewhere on this forum mention of locking pins for trailer hitch, and I don't know what this is or what it looks like. I found a lock inside the kitchen draw that is strange looking and I am unfamiliar with how it would be used. Is there♦ some sort of safety locking mechanism for the hitch I should be familiar with or is it to prevent theft from someone stealing the trailer? Is there a lock that goes on your hitch or chains?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
LiveTicker

There are 2 locks you may be refering to...

A receiver pin lock - so someone doesn't steal your 2 inch square receiver hitch & ball. ( with or without TM attached)

A coupler lock - so the trailer can't be lifted off of the ball.

samples: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-28...719185&sr=8-19

They are sold at Camping World, Walmart, Kmart, etc.

Watch demo:

Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
PopBeavers

There is also an inexpensive locking pin that prevents the trailer latch from popping open. Cost is a few dollars. I usually use one of those while towing. It is not a security, meaning it uses no key.

I have the lockable type, but rarely use it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wayne -

I think you are referring to this kind of clip?

I use this one without fail. As you note, it doesn't provide any security, since it doesn't lock. And I can't believe that a properly-closed coupler would suddenly pop open. What it does for me is ensure that I have fully closed the coupler in the first place - the clip won't fit through the coupler lever if the coupler is even slightly open.

I once drove several miles with an open coupler. Fortunately the high tongue weight of the TM kept the coupler on the ball, but it scared me to death when I discovered it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne -

I think you are referring to this kind of clip?

I use this one without fail. As you note, it doesn't provide any security, since it doesn't lock. And I can't believe that a properly-closed coupler would suddenly pop open. What it does for me is ensure that I have fully closed the coupler in the first place - the clip won't fit through the coupler lever if the coupler is even slightly open.

I once drove several miles with an open coupler. Fortunately the high tongue weight of the TM kept the coupler on the ball, but it scared me to death when I discovered it.

Bill
YUP, that is what I was talking about.

I have second hand experience of a trailer popping off of the tow ball:

Around 1969 my older brother was towing a boat, southbound US101, in the rightmost of 3 lanes near Sausalito. As some locals may know, there is a little bump over the culvert shortly before the climb.

The trailer separated from the tow ball, snapping the pair of safety chains.

The boat and trailer took off to the left.

The trailer became lodged in the center barrier and the boat went flying over the barrier.

The boat hit the front bumper of a northbound Greyhound bus in the rightmost of 3 lanes. No one was hurt. The only damage was a slightly dented bumper on the bus and the largest piece of the home made wood/fiberglass boat was about 2 feet by 2 feet. The 40 horse motor survived but was dented.

He was towing with a pickup truck so he loaded the pieces in the back. I helped him unload it at the dump.

Several years later my uncle was visiting from Milwaukee Wisconsin. He pulled out a small newspaper clipping with a story about a leap frog boat and he wondered if it was us, because the last name was mentioned in the article.

How now one was injured and no additional damage occurred is a miracle.

Always pin the towing latch.

Always use adequately sized safety cables/chains.

Crazy things can happen.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-28...719185&sr=8-19

We use one similar to that. We keep one of the keys on a ring with the other TM keys in the "ashtray", they always stay in the truck.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
LiveTicker

We didn't address the "chains" from the end of the first post.

My understanding is the safety chains are just clipped to the TV (tow vehical).
I haven't seen anyone lock them on, but I haven't seen everything yet.

EasternMarine says the chains should be crossed and under the coupler. This is new to me. I guess I missed that in the manuals.
I have coiled cables (not chains) like this: http://www.easternmarine.com/Class-I...-Cables-59541/
Other TM owners - is this the correct hookup?
Quote from http://www.easternmarine.com/Safety-...-Cables-Hooks/ :
"For towing safety, remember to connect safety chains properly every time you tow. Cross chains under the coupler then attach securely to the tow vehicle so they can't bounce loose. Leave only enough slack to permit full turning. Too much slack may prevent chains from maintaining control if other connections separate. Don't let the chains drag on the road."

One popup camper I had used a screw-on link like this to connect to the truck:
http://www.easternmarine.com/3/8-Sta...ck-Link-12889/
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
modhatter

Thanks everyone. I think the one I have in the draw may be for the hitch coupler. Will have to get it out and examine it, but if it is not, I will definitely order one of the ones you suggested. I was always concerned about the coupler popping off the ball. A very scary scenario.

Not sure on the theft pin. Will have to check that out.
Boy the joy of You Tube. A picture is certainly worth a thousand words. Thanks again.♦
Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have cables. I hate 'em. Several reasons.

First, the cables are covered in plastic. This means you can't see the cable, and you can't see any cut strands or debilitating rust. "Trust me", they say. "Under this good looking cover, I am still plenty strong."

Second, as you noted, LiveTicker, you are expected to set the length so they will support the trailer tongue off the ground if the hitch fails. But the length of the cables is not adjustable. Now what?

Third, I find that the springy-coiled shape is hard to maneuver - they are forever getting caught up in something. Like the springbar stubs. Which pinches, and eventually cuts, the strands of the cables.

In addition to the cables on my TM, I have a brand new unused set of cables sitting on the shelf. And the hooks even have safety clips, so they can't fall off. Anyone want to trade a pair of chains for my set of new cables? PM me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
MudDog
TrailManor Master

In addition to the coupler pin that Bill posted, I have two smaller pins for my weight distrubution spring bars (one clip for each side). Different WDH systems may be different, but on mine the pins are used to make sure the spring bar attachment to the frame doesn't unexpectedly come loose.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote