TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Tow Packages on F-150

On the 2010 Ford F-150 series, there are two tow package options. "Towing Package" and "Max Towing Package".

Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm thinking of buying an F-150 from a local dealer, but I can't figure out which package I need. The internet and Ford literature don't seem to give specifics.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
On the 2010 Ford F-150 series, there are two tow package options. "Towing Package" and "Max Towing Package".

Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm thinking of buying an F-150 from a local dealer, but I can't figure out which package I need. The internet and Ford literature don't seem to give specifics.

Tom
I am going to take a SWAG here. You can confirm with the dealer but don't take a salesman's word. Ask to see something in writing. You can also call Ford Customer Service.

The regular tow pkg may have a 3.73 rear axle ratio, trans cooler and brake controller (along with a lot of incidental suspension parts).

The "Max Towing Package" may have a 4.10 rear axle ratio, engine oil cooler (along with trans cooler), brake controller (along with a lot of heavier incidental suspension parts). Check to see if the "Max Towing Package" is only available with a diesel engine (just a hunch). You might also ask if the "Max Towing Package" includes the set-up for a 5th wheel......(again, only speculation).

If you are just going to be towing a TrailManor, the "Max Towing Package" certainly would not be necessary (although it might be a nice bonus if the price isn't too high). If there is any chance that you may change to a full size travel trailer with this vehicle, I would highly recommend the "Max Towing Package".

I am fairly certain about the gear ratio difference. The 4.10 ratio would give you better hill climbing power but it would also have a slight impact on your over-all MPG, especially while not towing.

If you were to order that same truck with a "Fuel Economy Pkg" it would have a gear ratio of ~3.23. The standard truck is probably built with a ~3.42 ratio.

A friend of mine made the mistake of ordering his truck with the tow pkg and fuel economy pkg (out of ignorance). He ended up with a real odd-ball. A tow pkg with a 3.23 gear ratio.....the Economy Pkg trumped the tow pkg on the gear ratio.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
mtnguy

The 4.10 gears are only available on the Rapture in the 150 series. I don't think a diesel was available for 2010. Check here for stats: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...2010/F-150.pdf

If I were getting a 2010, I would go with the maximum tow rating as possible. That would include the big engine (5.4L in 2010), a low ratio final drive (3.73), auxillary transmission cooler, seven wire trailer harness with Bargman connector, and not sure what else. I think in 2010 you could also get the intregrated brake controller, and towing mirrors.......wish those were available in 2006.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
BeerCan

FWIW my 2010 has the regular tow package. I have 3.55 gears, the hitch, tranny cooler and integrated brake controller. It tows a 3023 with ease. I really like the ford brake controller. It is coupled to the trucks computer and applies the trailer brakes according to how hard the truck brakes are pressed. I like it better than the motion style controllers.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
FWIW my 2010 has the regular tow package. I have 3.55 gears, the hitch, tranny cooler and integrated brake controller. It tows a 3023 with ease. I really like the ford brake controller. It is coupled to the trucks computer and applies the trailer brakes according to how hard the truck brakes are pressed. I like it better than the motion style controllers.
Thanks to all of you who answered.

Beer can...which motor do you have?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
BeerCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Thanks to all of you who answered.

Beer can...which motor do you have?

Tom
I have the 5.4l and the 6 speed automatic. Here is my window sticker in case you are interested.
http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...FW1CV9AFC60577
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I have the 5.4l and the 6 speed automatic. Here is my window sticker in case you are interested.
http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...FW1CV9AFC60577
According to your sticker, the Trailer pkg is standard equipment on that truck (as it is listed in the "Standard Equipment List"). The 3.55 gear ratio, limited slip axle was a $300 option. That seems to indicate that the standard ratio was different (probably ~3.23 for optimum MPG).
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
BeerCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
According to your sticker, the Trailer pkg is standard equipment on that truck (as it is listed in the "Standard Equipment List"). The 3.55 gear ratio, limited slip axle was a $300 option. That seems to indicate that the standard ratio was different (probably ~3.23 for optimum MPG).
You may be correct. I remember when I was at the dealer looking at the trucks most of the lariats where 3.55 or 3.73. I would say 90% of them where 3.55. The lower trim levels all seemed to have 3.23 but I did not look at to many of them.

I struggled with the 3.55 vs 3.73 choice. In the end I figured for the loads and terrain I tow on it probably does not matter to much.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #9

I have the 2010 F150 FX4. It The Max package includes 5.4l v8, 3.73 rear end, tranny cooler, integrated brake controller, electronic sway control, combo wiring connecter that has the 7-way and flat 5 pin, and 6 speed tranny with tow/haul selector. Ford touts 11,000 tow capacity, but the label on the hitch says 10,500.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
You may be correct. I remember when I was at the dealer looking at the trucks most of the lariats where 3.55 or 3.73. I would say 90% of them where 3.55. The lower trim levels all seemed to have 3.23 but I did not look at to many of them.

I struggled with the 3.55 vs 3.73 choice. In the end I figured for the loads and terrain I tow on it probably does not matter to much.
You're right........for the TM, the 3.55 ratio is quite adequate (as you now know) with the 5.4L engine.