TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
jeffheld

Angry Black Mold on three roof vents after storing

Hi All,
I have a 2009 TM 3023 and each year after storage ( I keep my rv wrapped in a custom made breathable cover which is rain resistant but not rain proof), after I uncover it for the new season, I find black mold in all my roof vents and it's a pain in the rear to clean out. What I want to avoid is having to do this again. The first year I used a damprid bag which collects the moisture and hung it from the cabinet handle just inside the door. The second year, I purchased a good dehumidifier and kept it plugged in the entire storage time, but it was even worse. When the TM is collapsed, is it fairly airtight? Should I barely crack the roofvents to let air circulate? Should I try putting paper towels or fabric softener sheets on top of the mesh in the vent to help with moisture dispersal? should I put baking soda boxes around the inside of the rv to help absorb moisture?

If anyone has had this problem, I sure would appreciate your tips on how you were able to stop this from happening. I live in Seattle, WA so moisture here is more constant, which probably doesn't help my situation.
Thanks for looking and hope to hear some great solutions.
Jeff
Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffheld View Post
Hi All,
I have a 2009 TM 3023 and each year after storage ( I keep my rv wrapped in a custom made breathable cover which is rain resistant but not rain proof), after I uncover it for the new season, I find black mold in all my roof vents and it's a pain in the rear to clean out. What I want to avoid is having to do this again. The first year I used a damprid bag which collects the moisture and hung it from the cabinet handle just inside the door. The second year, I purchased a good dehumidifier and kept it plugged in the entire storage time, but it was even worse. When the TM is collapsed, is it fairly airtight? Should I barely crack the roofvents to let air circulate? Should I try putting paper towels or fabric softener sheets on top of the mesh in the vent to help with moisture dispersal? should I put baking soda boxes around the inside of the rv to help absorb moisture?

If anyone has had this problem, I sure would appreciate your tips on how you were able to stop this from happening. I live in Seattle, WA so moisture here is more constant, which probably doesn't help my situation.
Thanks for looking and hope to hear some great solutions.
Jeff
I'm surprised that your dehumidifier idea didn't work better (you had it hooked to an outside drain hose, right?).

The primary encourager of mold is moisture, and net moisture is water in minus evaporation out. The water has to actually go somewhere. So I'd forget about dispersing or spreading it around inside the trailer and instead focus on how to keep it out of there in the first place (you probably already store your TM with empty toilet and tanks).

My first thought is that your cover may be allowing too much water in and not letting enough get out. I'd suggest trying a more water impervious tarp over the trailer on a frame that sits on the top of the TM that provides room for air circulation between it and the trailer. If that doesn't work, you might need to keep the TM in a shed or garage.

Do a search for other posts, and join the forum!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Cleaning out mold is more difficult than most think.

One must rid the camper of all of the mold spores. They get everywhere.

In order to effectively rid the mold spores, you may want to empty the trailer of all it's contents. Wash all of the fabric and dry it thoroughly. Then wipe down every hard surface in the trailer with 10% bleach solution to kill all of the free mold spores in common mold .

The key to keeping mold from maturing is "AIR CIRCULATION". If there is air circulation, mold will not grow. Putting a cover on the camper (breathable or not) will stop air circulation (unless you are in a dry/windy area).

You may want to consider a portable garage type cover for the trailer.