TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Replacement schedule for gas and CO detectors?

I've read in a number of places that gas a CO detectors should be replace either every 5 or every 10 years. Either way, with my TM being model year 2000, I'm at either of those timeframes. Does anyone know the reason for this? Does the sensor actually wear out? Has anyone actually replaced theirs yet?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
MisterP

All detectors lose sensitivity over time, most use a semiconductor circuit that is either ionizing (smoke detectors) or detecting electrical current (CO). The sensors slowly oxidize over time and become less sensitive.

Some manufacturers put an expiration date on the sensors - be sure to check for that if buying a new one.

I have replaced smoke detectors at home. Have not replaced any detectors in a TM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Larry Gault

Mine is 10 years old too and it works good. When I was redoing the floor I used a little cleaning fluid on the sticky area's and the alarm kept going.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gault View Post
Mine is 10 years old too and it works good. When I was redoing the floor I used a little cleaning fluid on the sticky area's and the alarm kept going.
This does not indicate the unit will sense CO at levels below that which will kill you. It means it will detect cleaning fluid, which simply completes the electrical circuit and sets off the sensor.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The sensor in a smoke detector is a tiny tiny tiny amount of the radioactive element Americium 241. Since the half life of Americium 241 is over 400 years, I doubt that they "wear out" in the traditional sense of the word. My guess - and it is only that - is that the sensors eventually get coated with airborne stuff that forms a film over the sensor - stuff like grease, oil, water-vapor-caused rust, or the like. This alters the airflow, and the sensitivity of the detector, to the point where it is no longer reliable. Although the interior of the smoke detector could be cleaned, it is easier and surer to lay out $5 for a new one.

I could tell a sad story about a rust-caused smoke-detector alarm - but unless you were involved, you'd be bored.

Bottom line, MisterP is right. Check the date, and replace when expired. Mighty cheap insurance.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I just replaced my LP alarm. I also wanted to detect CO, so I replaced it with a combination LP/CO alarm. It is made to specifically fit the cut-out of the detector that came with my TM, which was made by a different company (CCI Controls) now out of business.

So if you have an LP detector, model 7770 (which is marked on the back of the unit, visible in the bathroom cabinet) that looks like the attached pic, the unit linked to below is a direct replacement with added CO monitoring functionality. It takes 10 min tops to replace, and you need only a screw driver.

While the LP-only detector is easy to find, I could only find the LP/CO detector at 2 vendors (priced the same), one of which is below. They shipped the same day I ordered, were responsive to phone calls, and shipped a fresh product (according to the date stamp on the back).

They shipped a flier with my unit with a coupon code on it for free shipping for $99+ orders. The code is SEFS99. You'll have to order a $1 item to use it.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...79/249779.aspx

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060698 (Custom).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	4915  
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Somewhere between your 2000 TM and my 2005 TM the factory changed things. I have two units near the floor. One for CO and one for LP. They are aout the same size. Might even be identical in size.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
TM Pilot

MTI Industries recommends that the Safe-T-Alert Propane/CO2 alarm (Model 70-742) be replaced 5 years after installation. If the installation date is unknown, then replace the alarm 5 years after the production date on the back of the alarm.
A replacements unit is currently running about $100.

The smoke alarm should be replaced every 10 years.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Thanks Shrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I just replaced my LP alarm. I also wanted to detect CO, so I replaced it with a combination LP/CO alarm. It is made to specifically fit the cut-out of the detector that came with my TM, which was made by a different company (CCI Controls) now out of business.

So if you have an LP detector, model 7770 (which is marked on the back of the unit, visible in the bathroom cabinet) that looks like the attached pic, the unit linked to below is a direct replacement with added CO monitoring functionality. It takes 10 min tops to replace, and you need only a screw driver.

While the LP-only detector is easy to find, I could only find the LP/CO detector at 2 vendors (priced the same), one of which is below. They shipped the same day I ordered, were responsive to phone calls, and shipped a fresh product (according to the date stamp on the back).

They shipped a flier with my unit with a coupon code on it for free shipping for $99+ orders. The code is SEFS99. You'll have to order a $1 item to use it.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...79/249779.aspx

Dave
I just ordered one of these on Amazon, from RV Supplies for $72 and change...thanks Dave for the info on this model. I have a 2003 TM and I guess it's time, especially since my new hot water heater's propane connection is in the back of the unit, in the cabinet under the sink instead of
in the outside access panel! So a new detector is in order.
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Has anyone had problems with false alarms with this unit? I’ve had numerous, almost always in the middle of the night (maybe due to increased humidity?). There are several reports of false alarms in the Amazon reviews. I seem to recall having the factory replace mine at least once, but I’m just getting tired of the false alarms.....propane alarm goes off when both propane bottles are shut off.

If I could locate an alternate model that could easily be mounted in the same location, I’d replace it in a heartbeat.

Dave