TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
caremd99

Default Honda Odyssey and 3023

I tow a 2003 3023 with a 2002 Honda Odyssey. I have Airlift springs, a huge tranny cooler, McKesh mirrors, AMSOIL synthetic oil and ATF, Hidden Hitch brand hitch, WDH, Prodigy brake controller, and the infamous Honda Power Steering cooler.

I have no trouble pulling the trailer and no sway @65MPH with 18 wheelers zooming by. The temp gauge never moves above the normal non-towing position. 15-16 MPG

If I had it to do over again I would use a small tranny cooler instead of the Honda PS cooler. Would have saved lots of money.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
NeedTMSanDiego

Default Re:Honda Odyssey and 3023

Airlift Springs?
AMSOIL synthetic oil and ATF?

Did a TM dealer recommend the above.
What do they do?
What is ATF? ???

I have a 1998 3023 and tow it with a 2002 Odyssey with a WD Hitch. I have been up and down the west coast with no problems yet.

Old 07-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
caremd99

Airlift springs help the rear end profile. Even with just the receiver on the Odyssey the rear end sagged. Also they help act as an anti-roll device. The Odyssey corners better. You can find out more info on the Air lifts at www.odyclub.com.

ATF is automatic transmission fluid. Honda specifies to use only ATF-Z1 however there are companies that will recommend their synthetic to be used in Honda ATF-Z1 applications (Pennzoil, AMSOIL). Lots of debate and opinions about this subject on many different forums including odyclub.

Using synthetic fluids provides better lubrication and helps keep temperatures down or in the case where cooling is regulated (closed loop like the radiator cooling) it provides more operating margin.

I use AMSOIL because they offer extended drain intervals and stand behind their products by providing a limited warranty. Many poeple like Mobil-1 SuperSyn which is also a good product.

The TM dealer did not mention any of this and I too have pulled the 3023 without problems before I changed to synthetics or added the air springs to provide additional handling stability.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
NeedTMSanDiego

Thanks for information.
Best of luck with 3023.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
huskydawg

I am looking into the purchase of a 3023 and would like to use my 2004 Toyota Sienna as the tow vehicle. The specifications of the new Sienna appear to be very similar to the Honda Odyssey. How does the Odyssey perform on hills towing the 3023? since the weight appears to be close to the 3500 towing capacity do you have to tow the 3023 dry?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=huskydawg link=board=20;threadid=1056;start=msg11800#msg1180 0 date=1076456564]
The specifications of the new Sienna appear to be very similar to the Honda Odyssey. How does the Odyssey perform on hills towing the 3023? since the weight appears to be close to the 3500 towing capacity do you have to tow the 3023 dry?
[/quote]

Dawg,

I have a 2720SL. Weight is nearly the same as that of a 3023.

I traded my 2001 Odyssey in for a Toyota 4Runner. The 4Runner is rated for 5000 lb towing capacity. It is a 4WD and more robust, all around.

My Ody was up to the task 90+% of the time, but somewhat challenged on steep LOW altitude hills. The thought of using it for camping in mountainous states was daunting. Also, I got caught in two snowstorms during the same trip. Front wheel drive sucks in slippery conditions. Even with a WDH installed, it is difficult to get an extra 3500 lbs AND the van moving. The front wheels tend to spin, when starting from a dead stop, on even the slightest upslope. I really ticked off a long line of drivers at an exit ramp stop light. Couldn't advance; couldn't retreat!

I ALWAYS towed the 2720SL dry. Any trailmanor weighs 400 or more lbs, empty, than the specs proclaim. Those "optional equipment items" really bulk them up. (See the FAQ's).

Do yourself a favor and find something which is rated to tow 5000 lbs minimum. Been there with the ODY, and didn't like it!

Don't forget; above is my opinion. I may just be paranoid .

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote