TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
brulaz

Default Backup Lights

My biggest problem backing the Elkmont into a tight campsite has occurred at night. I just don't have enough light to see where the trailer's wheels are going. We turn on all the trailer's outside lights but that's not good enough.

My wife stands at the rear of the site to ensure that I don't hit anything there, but she can't really give me good directions. I need to see the trailer's wheels are going. So I usually end up getting out of the cab every few feet.

Has anybody rigged up some sort of extra backup lights for their TV? Would love to hear/see what you've done.

I was thinking of something like a metal rod across the rear bumper or front yoke of the trailer, sticking out a bit on each side with an off-road halogen mounted at each end. It would be temporary, just mounted when needed, and the lights aimed down the bottom quarter of the trailer sides.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
MudDog
TrailManor Master

We often arrive late on Friday nights and experienced the same problem.

I bought an auxilary light kit at Pep Boys a couple of years ago that included two lights, wiring, a switch and a relay. The lights are basically fog lights.

I mounted the lights (permanently) to a frame stringer just behind the trailer wheels. The lights are aimed slightly outward. I ran the wiring to the bundle behind the fridge and tapped into the backup-light wire that goes from the bargman connector to the trailer tailights and then mounted the switch on the TM frame just below the exterior access panel to the fridge.

When I put the TV in reverse, the reverse lights on the tail-lights come on as well as the auxillary lights. If I don't want the auxiallry lights on, I can kill them with the external switch.

Mounting them just behind the wheels (rather than on the bumper) allows me to see exactly where the wheels are tracking.

Will see if I can get some pictures for you this weekend.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

MudDog - That sounds like a clever setup. Great idea.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
brulaz

Yes, pictures would be great!
No problems with road debris hitting the lights?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
PopBeavers

That might no be legal in California, depending on the legal definition of a light that points forward.

If you mounted it in front of the TM wheel, so that it shined backwards, as long as it could only come on when in reverse then I do not see a legal problem in California.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
MudDog
TrailManor Master

No issues with road debris in two years. If I ever lost tread the lights would probably get wiped out, but they were relatively cheap.

Will try to get pictures tonight (about to head out to the CG).

Not worried about legality...they aim back toward the rear of the trailer and only come on when in reverse...and if needed I can kill them independent of other lights with the switch.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Sometimes you just zip into the site, and sometimes it takes awhile. As with all things, I suppose you get better at this with practice. And yes, this can take a few hikes back to see what's going on. But I'm not sure any amount of light would address the problems of seeing what's going on way back there on the blind side of the trailer, since this can be challenging even in broad daylight.

Probably many of us are blessed with spotters who can't tell us how to back a trailer (you should treasure the things your spotter can't tell you how to do). But any spotter can hold a flashlight and 1) stand where they can see your face in the mirror, 2) tell you if you're going to back into something, and 3) tell you if you're there yet.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote