TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
Gary&Mary

I pull our 2007 2720SL with a 2007 4Runner with the 4.0L V6. Power and torque is more than adequate. Just went from Fort Myers to Blue Ridge Parkway and back and averaged 18.7 MPG for the whole trip (including the mountains). The 4Runner was pre-wired for the brake controller and trailer lights. Made the brake controller installation simple.

I don't use a WDH or sway control bars...still undecided about them. The 4Runner only squats a little and the front end doesn't feel light at all, although I can definitely feel it when the big rigs pass me on the interstate. It handled the NC mountain roads perfectly. I am very careful about loading the TM and not reducing the tonque weight.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
LittleRhodey

Default Just our first trip with a 2009 Pilot

We just took our first trip with our 2009 4WD Pilot. It towed beautifully; I couldn't tell much difference from driving without the TM. Our mileage went from about 18.5 mpg to 16.5 mpg, but we only towed it about an hour each way. We had plenty of pickup for passing and so forth. We can check the exact mpg by using the trip computer which calculates total miles and average mpg for each trip separately.

We did use a weight distributing hitch although Honda said we didn't need it. It levels things out better.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
jpcoll01

It's not a Pilot but I believe it shares a lot of the same powertrain, I just towed our 2720sl with our '04 Odyssey, with WDH and packed fairly light (no water, etc.) from KY into the mountains of Western NC and then down into Chatanooga, where I am right now, and it towed it great, 16mpg towing, 18mpg avg. for the trip.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking I'm the person you wanted to ask.... get the V6.

Because I've done extensive towing with BOTH the current "Gen-4" V8 4Runner and the V6 4Runner.

Basically, we originally bought the V8 because we live at high altitude, thought it would be "the smart choice" for the TM. When it was totaled from behind from a full sized van, we switched "down" to the V6 in order to reduce our insurance loss. DW insists on buying new, always.

We had a full season of Sierra Nevada towing on the V8. We've done two seasons on the V6. The V8 is a lot quieter, both towing and in regular driving. And the V8 will often ride properly "locked up" one gear higher than the V6 can. (In 5th instead of 4th, 4th instead of 3rd, 3rd instead of second 2nd. 2nd gear, BTW, only happens on steep grades 12%+, 7000+ ft.) But the V8 costs more to buy, and it gobbles 10-15% more gas. In regular driving, the shift points are about the same. And so, because it's got better economy with no significant "costs", we actually prefer the V6!

More than adequate for a 2619/2720. Also, don't believe it if a Toyota Salesperson tries to tell you that the V6 hitch receiver "can't handle a big trailer"-- it's the SAME frame, and the bolts are BIG. Drivetrain-wise, Highlander works just as well (the new model Highlander and FJ are now good for 5000 lbs, just like the V6 4R), but the wheelbase and track on these models is a bit less. Highlander has nicer interior, nicer ride for non-towing, but theoretically a bit less safe for the "tail wagging the dog" effect. FJ is really a lot shorter, I feel that it's NOT just theoretical for a vehicle that much smaller.

I don't know what the current Explorer is like. (I didn't like them in 2006, didn't even look at them after the 2007 collision.) But any of these modern engines/drivetrains are VASTLY more capable than your old Explorer, the capabilities of these "V6 engine" SUVs and Crossovers are vastly better than those of just a few years ago.
- - - - -
No one else has towed a small TM for HUNDREDS of miles on both the V8 and the V6, in otherwise identical 4Runners. If you go with Toyota, unless you're bothered by the increased engine noise, definitely get the V6.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
dcrdark
Site Sponsor

Just got back from a trip to Columbus GA from Va. We have a 2002 TM 3023. We tow with a 2005 V6 4Runner and got 18-19 MPG including the hills and mountains. The V6 4Runner did or does not come with a hitch receiver to be used for WDH. I did have to change the hitch receiver. If you have more questions about my rig, please ask.
dcrdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Sync-n-Sub
Site Sponsor

Sync-n-Sub says thanks to all for their inputs to the V6-V8 quandary. We drove the V6's of the 2008 4 Runner, 2009 Pilot, 2008 base and sport Highlanders. While all were excellent choices, we narrowed it down to the Highlander Sport, well sorta. It had some neat goodies like beefier suspension, backup camera for hitching, and a rear hatch that opened. Well, that was at first until I got on the thread of hitches and 19 inch tires. I got spooked at the 19 inch tire saga on the Sport and did a bit of research of. if needed, how far replacement tires were away. I found absolutely none in the Tri-Cities area of TN, with most saying they could order a Bridgestone with ETAs from 2 days to two weeks. And Toyos ($440 each) equally possible. And not wanting to become a resident of Moose Jaw, WY, while I possibly needed a new tire, I (well, Sync and I) opted for the Base version of the Highlander with the very popular 17 inch tires. We did a short maiden voyage with the TM 2720SL attached and I believe we will be well served with the Toyota base Highlander. While on the subject of hitches, I found that the Hidden Hitch(87452) and Drawtite(75586) (same hitch) were weight distribution rated, the Curt(13534) and the Toyota factory installed were not, and the Valley 81312 (also same as UHaul 78266) was possibly, depending who you talked to (but the stick-on tag just identifies 500 lbs and 5000 lbs with no WDH listed). A web site review of the Valley applications guide shows the Valley as 5 for capacity and 6 for WD ( I presume the 5=5000 and the 6 to be 6000 lbs), a follow up phone call to Valley, the girl says that the Valley 81312 was not WDH rated. So I bought the Drawtite, installed it and it works great. Thanks all, Sub
Sync-n-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Scott O

I'm not sure how up to date this info is since we have an '02 Highlander and an '05 Tacoma. 4 Runners used to be on a truck chassis (don't know about now) while the Highlander was on an auto chassis (Camray?). Our daughter had a 4 Runner and it felt like a truck, while the Highlander felt like a car.

We have towed our TM with our V6 Tacoma for over a year. And up and over some nasty mountains with no issues. I believe it is basically the same engine as comes in the Highlander. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone and will probably buy another when the time comes. Sounds to me that you are on the right track.