TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Reldma

Default P3 Prodigy Electric Brakes

Just bought our first TM and need to install the electric brakes on a Sienna Van. Been reading discussions on electric brakes an would like to know if the P3 is a good choice for our van. We bought a 2619. Also is this fairly easy to install or should I let a dealer do it? The van came with a tow package when when purchased in 05. Moving up from a popup.
Reldma
Reldma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have the P3 on my Sequoia, and it has worked great. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it is responsive, and I've never had any issues. Installation was easy for me because there was a connector already under the steering wheel that mated with the P3 via a separate wiring harness sold separately (I also have the towing package). Didn't have to run any new wires or make any other connections. Just plug in and mount.

Got it a year ago from pplmotorhomes.com for ~$120 or so, and there was a $20 rebate on top of that.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
agesilaus

We just got a P3 when we bought our 2619. Our truck also was prewired so there was nothing much to the installation, drill two small holes for the self tapping screws for the mount, plug it in and that was it. Make sure you pick a spot that you can see the display. Ours is mounted to the right of the steering column, low with it pointing more or less up. Down near your leg.

I had to move it over 3 inches so I could see it better without the steering wheel being in the way.

If you had to wire it yourself then there would be a lot more work, you'd have to identify which wires to tap into in that mares nest under the dash.

BK
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Scott O

I agree with Dave. The P3 is a top of the line controller, and installation is a snap if they make a connector from the controller to the plug under your dash - they are brand of vehicle specific. Check with yoiur supplier.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

You'll find the P3 tech support people to be outstanding. Call them (their number's in the installation instructions), and they can tell you what wire harnesses are available and read you the descriptions of the wires you'll need to tap into under the dash, if there is no connector in your vehicle.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
larsdennert

I have a prodigy too but don't recall the model. They really work great and always seem to apply the correct amount of force. Don't settle for less!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
alexcua

I got a P3 last week and I will be installing it in an RX330 which does not have a built in harness for brakes. I will let you know how my install goes. The Sienna should not be any different from mine.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Scott O

Without the factory tow package, which includes wiring from the dash to the plug in the rear, I (who is electrically challenged) would not consider doing it myself. The install of the P3 is easy only with the wiring for the trailer already in place. Otherwise it is way beyond my abilities.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcua View Post
I got a P3 last week and I will be installing it in an RX330 which does not have a built in harness for brakes. I will let you know how my install goes. The Sienna should not be any different from mine.
If you are installing it yourself, Send me an Email and I can tell you what I learned in a similar project.

In general terms, there's a connector in the back that will accept a flat-four trailer connector pigtail. But you still need a brake controller wire and a 12v power wire that you need to get to the trailer connector. Even with the factory tow package, I had to tap into the wires under the dash to connecte these and the brake controller.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
alexcua

Default P3 Installation on RX 330

I was able to get my P3 installed here from a local RV dealer. They had estimated the job at 1.25 hours but ended up taking 3.0. I was charged for 1.25 which makes me a happy camper. I watched the installation and it was not as easy as I had thought. I consider myself to be very technically savvy and yet for the price I paid, I'm glad someone did it for me. It would have taken me longer to research what size wire to use and where it is supposed to go.

My RX330 has a towing package and the harness is located behind the driver's side taillight. You need to remove the plastic bins to gain access to the harness.

We had to run a dedicated wire from the front and the controller all the way to the back. My car was on a lift the whole time.

I had talked to several hitch installers and even our local Camping World here was not confident that they can install the P3 in the RX330. Another one wanted to install a LED converter that costs $200.00. This module was not needed since we already have the harness as part of the towing package. Some guys will try to sell you anything.

I picked up my 2003 - 2720SL last week and the P3 worked beautifully. Looks like I'll be joining this forum soon.