TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Should I trade down my tow vehicle?

Ok, I have a 2633K and tow it with a 2000 Yukon XL. I have a 6'6" husband, 6' fourteen year old boy, three full size greyhounds and a canoe on top. What I like about the Yukon XL is that everyone fits. What I don't like is that my father dictated what we should buy (he of years of experience with towing) and it seems like a smaller unit may do the job as well while guzzling less gas. I have located a nice 2000 Chevy Blazer with 4.3 liter V6, tow package, and 4 wheel drive (which I have always had before this Yukon XL). Am I fooling myself, or is this a viable option? The selling point on the Blazer is that it is almost half the cost to buy as the Yukon XL, and a little lower mileage. Both the boy (at 14) and my dad (at 91) are self limiting considerations. In about four years, I don't think either one will care what I drive. We, however, will be "most timing" or "full timing", and would like to not be limited in where we go by either cost of fuel, or an underpowered tow vehicle. So, what do you think?

P.S. Thank you, Chris (I think it was) who fixed my avatar to a manageable size. That picture is of my two girl greyhounds relaxing in the TM. May is white with brindle patches and Shady is my full brindle. My male dog is named Flint and is a rare color of gray known as blue.
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Keep the Yukon V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsoncarol
Ok, I have a 2633K and tow it with a 2000 Yukon XL. I have a 6'6" husband, 6' fourteen year old boy, three full size greyhounds and a canoe on top. What I like about the Yukon XL is that everyone fits. What I don't like is that my father dictated what we should buy (he of years of experience with towing) and it seems like a smaller unit may do the job as well while guzzling less gas. I have located a nice 2000 Chevy Blazer with 4.3 liter V6, tow package, and 4 wheel drive (which I have always had before this Yukon XL). Am I fooling myself, or is this a viable option? The selling point on the Blazer is that it is almost half the cost to buy as the Yukon XL, and a little lower mileage. Both the boy (at 14) and my dad (at 91) are self limiting considerations. In about four years, I don't think either one will care what I drive. We, however, will be "most timing" or "full timing", and would like to not be limited in where we go by either cost of fuel, or an underpowered tow vehicle. So, what do you think?
Unless you get the extended version of the Blazer, it's wheelbase is a bit too short to properly control the rather long 3326 TM. Furthermore, the 4.3 engine, while quite good for its size, is simply too lacking in torque to happily pull your heavy 3326 (which is probably weighing over 5000 lbs when loaded for an extended, full timing type trip) ....especially if you like to go up into the mountains. For instance, grades that you can now handle easily at traffic speed would have you down to about 35 to 45 mph with the engine screaming in 1st or 2nd gear...which is not good for long life of the transmission or the engine.

So, yes, IMO you are indeed fooling yourself badly if you think that moving down to the 4.3 Blazer is a good idea. You would regret it every time you hooked up the trailer...and you would eventually be avoiding going to a lot of fine destinations because you would know the Blazer probably couldn't handle the mountain roads enroute. I detect a bit of rebellion against your father here and while I certainly can empathize with that, in this case his judgement was sound.

Don't trade down...you'll deeply regret it.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
CastleRockCamper

TucsonCarol,
I agree, I think you would be fooling yourself. The Chevy Blazer has a smaller wheelbase, and less HP than my 4.2 I-6 Chevy Trailblazer. While we certainly love our Trailblazer and the performance thus far, we are only towing a 2720SL, and not a 3326.

If you attempted mountain towing, yes you would slow down, but to put speeds in perspective, normal drivers are slowed down to about 55mph, not too many people are exceeding 55-60mph up the mountain. So, yes will be in the right lane, and getting passed. But you reference most-timing and full timing, IMO a V8 would be recommended. If you like GM products I would suggest Buick Rainer(V8), GMC Envoy(V8) or the EXT Trailblazer(V8).

HTH,
CastleRockCamper
Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Thanks, guys.

That is exactly the sort of information I needed and didn't have. As you know, this is really my first experience with a trailer of any kind as an adult. We always tent camped before, so I don't know jack about towing capacity. Your input is invaluable. And Ray, as far as resentment against dad's dictates, it's waaayyy late for that (remember, he's 91). I just know the general caliber of his advise. To be fair to the old guy, the real problem, I think, is the conflict of 4 wheel versus non-4 wheel. He has always stressed that 4 wheel wasn't to get off the beaten path, but to be able to return to the beaten path. I so internalized that bit of advise and tended to recall those childhood adventures he took us on where 4 wheel was the only thing that kept us from being wild critter chow.
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
BobRederick

TucsonCarol

This is Bob of Mesa. I bought the 3326K in Indiana and towed it home with an GMC Envoy I6. This puts out 250 HP and has variable valves to do that. The only mountains I climbed were Winslow - Payson - Phoenix. On that route, I was able to easily hold 50 mph min limited by the RPM I wanted the engine to turn in 2nd gear. I believe it was about 4000. I am very happy. You will be more heavy than I fully loaded. Our TM was new and we haven't had time to put in the "fixins" for extended stays. Lowest milage was about 14MPG and highest was 17+. According to the charts and recommendations I have seen, the Envoy wheelbase is insufficient to safely tow the 3326K. I don't have any problem with it, but did get the anti sway attachment for my hitch.

I had a V6 Chevy S-10 Blazer before that put out 140 HP. They have upped the power from them, but I don't think it would be up to pulling the 3326K. That's a lot fewer horsies. I was pulling a large Coleman at the time, empty weight 1700#. As mentioned before, the wheelbase is shorter as well.