TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Roc53ky

Default Towing with Dodge B1500 Van V-6

I tow a TM 2720 SL with a Dodge B1500 V-6 Van. I pull with only a class III hitch, no WD or sway control. It pulls like a dream, does not move when a 18 wheeler zooms past! I have to keep looking in my rearview mirror to see if it still behind me!
I do have a question though. Is it necessary to have a transmission cooler installed on my van? I had a TM dealer tell me it was not needed since the weight was so light and the height of the trailer was lower the the van (minimal wind resistance).

Appreciate any advice!
Old 02-03-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Towing with Dodge B1500 Van V-6

Rocky,
You probably don't "have to" install a transmission cooler, but it would go a long way toward extending the life of the transmission. You might also think about an engine oil cooler. If you are towing in hot climates, in the mountains or in heavy traffic then one or both of these coolers will help increase the life of the tow vehicle. Most "trailer packages" include an oil cooler, transmission cooler, heavy duty battery and heavy duty alternator.
HTH,
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
grampa

We used to own a 82 dodge with slant 6 and autotranny to pull a coleman popup. Used this rig for 7 years and over 40,000 miles of pulling the camper. Traded the van at 165,000 and never had the engine or tranny overhauled. The cost of a transmission cooler is not much. Less 50 bucks. It and more than normal frequency of fluid and filter changes, and band adjustments, will extend the life of your transmission. Even if you pull no more than a few hundred miles at a time, and on an infrequent basis, the cooler is well worth the expense. My advice is get one.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

When we had our small Coleman popups, I even then had a transmission cooler put on. I always had Dodge full size vans (318 V8) great motor. Our friend was the service manager at the Chrysler garage and he told me to have one put on. If we ever had transmission trouble, the factory could have given us problems with covering the repairs under the warranty since we were towing something. It didn't cost much, so I had it installed.

If you had a temperature guage to watch your transmission temp, you would be surprised on how much it can raise on different terrains. Driving in hilly areas and if your van is full and if it were windy. all factors to take into consideration . I would rather be safe than have a big repair bill down the line.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Roc53ky

Well it looks like the concensus is get a transmission cooler at least. I was leaning in this direction to begin with. This confirms my thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing my TM in my rear view mirror for many years.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rocky ;D