TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
frequency

Default New Questions About TM

Trying to settle on buying either a TM or MotorHome to live in during the winter months in fair weather on the West Coast. Any opinions as to which one would be a better option to buy and why?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
rockerga

Default Decisions, decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequency
Trying to settle on buying either a TM or MotorHome to live in during the winter months in fair weather on the West Coast. Any opinions as to which one would be a better option to buy and why?
TM's are marvelous RV's if they are right for you. My wife and I decided it was right for us after much research so we purchased one back in December of 2005 and have been extremely pleased with our decision. You have to either help us here at the forum with a few details and even moreso ask yourself: What are my specific wants, needs and desires for my RV? TM can be the right RV for you but they are not for everyone.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Tonopah

A travel trailer pulled by a 4x4 vehicle is the way I wanted to go. The travel trailer becomes the base camp, and the 4x4 allows us to explore, within reason, anywhere.
The TM, particularly with the swing hitch, is attractive because some people can store them in the garage. I can't do that so I did not get the swing hitch and instead just store the TM in an RV storage lot that is pretty close to my home. I tow with a Jeep Liberty, which is proving adequate, but TV with a longer wheel base would be better.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequency
TM or MotorHome to live in during the winter months in fair weather on the West Coast.
I will assume that you will arrive on the west coast and park the rig for at least several months without moving it, since you did not say.

Based on my assumption, I would not recommend either one.

The biggest advantages of the TM are easy towing and easy storage at home in a garage. Neither apply to you.

The biggest advantage to a motorhome is the ease of moving to a new location frequently. This also does not apply to you.

I would recommend a TT. Tow it to the west coast and park it until it is time to go back home. Since you will only tow it twice a year, out west and then back, weight and wind drag do not matter.

I made a really big assumption.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Things to consider.

If you get a motorhome, you will still have to tow something, a small auto to get around So. Cal. If Popbeavers assumption is right, that you will park and remain in the same place for long stretches, his conclusion MAY also be right. Have you got specific models of either the TM or motorhome in mind? The costs here vary wildly depending on what you have in mind.

I chose the TM for a number of reasons, easy towing, light weight, even cuteness factor. The final reason to buy it was that it just felt like home. Many on this forum spend months at a time in their TMs but most of them are traveling and camping, not parked and sight seeing.

We have a 3326KS and absolutely love it. However, if I had a ton of money we would also own a small motorhome. The TM is great for camping, there is no place I have wanted to go that we can't get to with it, but I covet a motorhome when we are just pulling to a city and parking (visiting the family for example, or a So. Cal. theme park run). In that senario you won't be seeking the view or getting up before dawn to catch a glimpse of a rare bird or sneaking off to a favorite fishing hole. IF that's the case, a motorhome may give you a bigger shower, an easier bed to make and get into, a bigger air conditioner and the ease of just parking it and going into town (after you struggle with unhooking the towed vehicle).

This is a more complicated decision than your original post might suggest. Please give us more details and we will help as best we can.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
frequency

Thanks, I realize that I was vague here. I live in Idaho, it's just me and a dog, maybe a cute girl might tag along. I was hoping to have enough room so I wouldn't feel cramped, but still comfortable. I would still use it in the other times of the year to camp around with. I agree that the MH is a pain on gas and size and it's alot better to pull the TM with the Dodge quad hemi that I have. Just looking to maybe get out of the hard winter months here and go to maybe Palm Springs, San Diego, or AZ.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
frequency

Aslo, I have already had the mini-home, and pop-up tent trailer camper, so the TM makes the best sense to graduate to, which model would be the best?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
frequency

German Shepard, why?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
frequency

I have heard from one person that they thought the TM was overpriced, not built well and a pine cone landing on the roof would dent it, any truth to this?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
frequency

Yea, I have been to the site and checked it out before. It seems a toss up between the 2720 and the 3023.