TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
wboudx

Default Researching the purchase of a 3124KS

Reading this forum has answered just about all the questions I have pertaining to the TM 3124KS. Going to the TM dealer also proved I knew more than the salesman about the TM, thanks to this forum. I have been looking around at many different RV's, but my wife and I have decided that TM is going to be our choice.

One question I have right now is on the torsion bars. A Hi Lo salesman said the tops will be hard to open on the TM after a year. Can I assume after a year, the torsion bars may just need adjusting?? I know from this forum on adjusting, but I wanted to verify I am on the right wave length.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

It has been a 1-year since we were at the factory where they were tweaked a little. It was about 1/2 year old at that time. I have noticed no difference when I opened it yesterday.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
PopBeavers

My 2720 was new a year ago. I have not noticed much change in the torsion bars ability to provide adequate balance. As I recall, Denny has documnented a procedure around here somewhere on how to adjust the tension in the torsion bars. I think I would rather let the dealer do that if/when I have a need for that.

FWIW, in northern California, the HiLo salesman is also the TM salesman. Also sells Chalet. Made it real easy to compare them sid by side.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
cmc211

I have now had my 3326 for about a year no change. Opens just as easy.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I had my first TM from the fall of '01 until the spring of '05. It opened as smoothly and sweetly at end as it did at the beginning.

When a salesman for one product bashes a competing product, I always discount his statements 100% - and I discount everything he says about his own product by about 50%. That's a sleazy way to make a sale.

As a counter-example, when I bought my first TM from MCD on Cape Cod, I had heard rumors about hydraulic problems in the Hi-Lo's mechanisms. I asked Dana (the owner) about it, and he simply said he didn't follow Hi-Lo, but he wasn't aware of anything. In other words, I gave him an opportunity to bash the competition - and when he didn't, my trust in him went way up. And it was rewarded.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
wboudx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
As I recall, Denny has documnented a procedure around here somewhere on how to adjust the tension in the torsion bars.
Not only have I seen Denny's procedure, I have saved it on my computer for future reference.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Debian Dog

Opening and closing on an old TM? Read this thread
Old 03-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Cowboy Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
My 2720 was new a year ago. I have not noticed much change in the torsion bars ability to provide adequate balance. As I recall, Denny has documnented a procedure around here somewhere on how to adjust the tension in the torsion bars. I think I would rather let the dealer do that if/when I have a need for that.

FWIW, in northern California, the HiLo salesman is also the TM salesman. Also sells Chalet. Made it real easy to compare them sid by side.
I have not seen Denny's procedure for the torsion bar adjustment. I would go so far as to say if the TM don't have a whole lot of problems, then it quit possible the dealer has little experience in the procedure. I have been off the sound belief if you are somewhat mechanical and can read a book, it best to do most things your self.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
wboudx

Thanks for all the responses. I have been envolved with several forums over the years and I have never had these kind of responses.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Doug W.

I might add that I just bought a used 3124KS. The dealer had only resold two in the last 4 or 5 years including mine that he had taken in as trades. He was showing me everything on it worked including how to open and close it. He complained about how hard they were to open and close. He said it took two people and I just laughed at him. They were trying to do it using what they thought were the handles on the supports on the side. I said to get out of the way and used one hand to close it from the end and two fingers on each hand to open it. He thought it was pretty funny also and said he should have known there was an easier way. Might be the Hi-Lo saleman ran into somebody who did not know how to do it either.