TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
arknoah

Default Blowing the fuse on the toilet

During our two week vacation to South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin (details to follow later in the camping stories section), the toilet kept blowing the little five amp fuse in it. I thought I was prettly by diagnosing the problem, getting the appropriate fuses and replacing it. Well, 24 hours later, it blew again. Now I finally called Thetford, which I would have done the previous day had my cell phone been working (they just don't work in the Black Hills from Ohio cell phones, go figure).

Well the lady at the customer service said that the motor is probably going, and sometimes the motor will blow out the fuse as it's "dying." As a temporary fix, I put in a ten amp fuse so we could use the toilet, though I always removed the bayonet-type fuse in the fuse box before we left for the day to tour. We also forbid anyone from putting anything solid, with the exception of a little toilet paper unless it was an absolute emergency. We got through the vacation okay, and since everyone RV shop around now is back up for weeks, we may do the same quick fix until the season runs down.

Did this temporary solution make sense, or was there something else I should have tried?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Blowing the fuse on the toilet

There was a thread about the 5 amp toilet fuse last year. TrailManor says (I believe) that the 5 amp fuse tends to go regularly. They recommend replacing it with a 7.5 (?)amp fuse to prevent excessive tripping. I did so some time ago (but, 10 amp), and have never had a fuse go sneakers-up on me.

I would still call TrailManor and see if they still offer that advice. Also search on "toilet fuse" or "Thetford + toilet + fuse", etc.

What the hey - just looked it up myself. Here it is:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabb...sg3792#msg3792

HTH - Denny_A ;D
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Happytrails

Yes, definately check that link. I think the problem is to low of a fuse, 5amp is just not enough.....nor near the capacity of the particular circuit either as I remember the thread. (Sorry, didn't click on the link, but do remember the discussion). My old 1986 TM has NEVER blown whatever fuse is in there, I should access it and see what's in there sometime. Of course we never run it for more than 5 seconds at a time without giving it a break before trying again if need be. (Mainly because of that particular discussion from this group so long ago).

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 07-29-2003, 07:29 AM   #4
arknoah

Good. It seems my fix is exactly what the doctor ordered. The bayonet fuse that is for the toilet (and the bathroom fan) is a 15 amp fuse, so the 5 amp fuse in the toilet did seem a little low.