TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Catawbalea

Default Fan-like noise from hall light

A small item of curiosity - while camping this week I noticed the a sound like a fan coming from the hall light between the bath and the cupboard. When I turned off the light it stopped. When all lights are off except it, no noise. If the fluorescent light over the stove and the hall light are on, the noise comes back "on"????????? Both of us noticed it, so I'm not hearing things. We could turn the 'fan' off/on by turning off/on the fluorescent light. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
wwjam

We have that same noise in our trailer, and it seems connected to the lights. I heard the same noise in a TM at an RV show, and asked the salesperson what it was. She said it was the battery, but our trailer is always running on electricity so we still aren't sure what it is. The noise seems to be coming from the black panel on the outside of the bathroom wall near the floor, and goes off if you turn certain lights off.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
grlewis1

I had a similar noise when I turned on the hallway lights... I traced this noise to the inverter located on the lower right rear hallway next to the rear bed. When I turned the light off, the noise stopped. Hope this helps for you...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ah! Gary and Carol probably have it right - the cooling fan in the converter. Sounds like it is mighty sensitive, but ... when you turn on a light, the converter senses the extra load, cranks up the power production, and turns on the fan in anticipation of a need for cooling.

I have no idea how you could change it. Is it really annoying?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
wwjam

Thank you for that information Gary & Carol, and Bill. At least knowing what it is makes it less annoying.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Catawbalea

Thanks for the replies. We thought we were probably alone in this mystery. It is not at all annoying and can barely be heard by our old ears. My concern was what the connection was between the fluorescent light over the stove and the incandescent hall light. Both on at once, then, could cause a load to the 'mind' of the converter? Didn't know the converter had a fan.