TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Paint Rubbing Off

Spent the day cleaning up the TM after 4 weeks on the road. While washing the outside, I noticed what seems to be a bad rubbing problem.

The left top corner edge of the rear shell at the point were the back edge of the front shell sits down on the rear shell there is evidence of severe rubbing such that the paint is even being removed. This rubbing occurs right on the corner round of the read shell.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this some kind of alignment problem? Do you have any idea what needs to be done about this before it wears through the metal on the corner round?

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me concerning this problem.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Paint Rubbing Off

Russ,

I had the same problem way back when I owned a 1993 TM, the same thing happened on that side to our 1994 TM, and the same thing happened to our 2002 TM. It has always been on the roadside. I think it's the same spot that you are talking about. It's at the end where the rub strip on the roof ends. It's on the top molding where the top back section hits the bottom. When I was at an RV show in the Spring, the facory rep said and showed me something that they were using to cover the molding so it wouldn't wear the paint off. I saw it, and I told him I hope it works. I probably have a spot 1 inch long where it has rubbed and the metal is shinny. It happened on 3 units now, and nothing seriously happened. I know you don't like to see the shinny spot, but I just figured that they had the problem fixed with the strip that they added in 2003. Who knows, they may have stopped adding it in 2004. Your best bet would be to call Jimmy Davis at the factory (865-426-7426) and he could give you a straight answer about the rubbing problem.

That's about all that I can say. It's been there on all 3 trailers over the span of 10 years. I'm sure nothing will happen except for the paint wearing off. I am very careful about keeping care of my things, and this kind of bothered me at first. Now I just live with it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help!!!

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Russ-Bett

Bob -

thanks for the info.

Russ
Old 11-06-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
arknoah

Something tells me that the design of the Trailmanor, as well as the bumps of simply towing it around are going to result in this kind of rubbing. we've seen the same thing in some areas, but I assumed that was a consequence of transporting it, though I can't say I like the idea. If there is a solution someone has, I would like to see it.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Noticed same problem whilst cleaning the new-to-us unit. Worn to shiny on both sides. Purple power seems to be working better than anything else on exterior. I bought a gallon of the concentrate at Wally for less than $4. Anybody know anything about painting over the streaks that just won't go away? Bad idea?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
shunter917
Site Sponsor

Try Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner - it works great. Also, there are Black Streak removers out there. I bought one from Camping World that was excellent. The one I bought at Wal-Mart didn't do the job.

Use a scrubbing pad that you can use on Teflon pans - those work really well.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote