TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
FujiPedaler

Default Need your help, still blowing fuses

So, My 2006 3326 King with a new factory installed (Trailmanor last fall) solar panel is still blowing fuses even after replacing the round one with a flat bladed 30 amp fuse.

It only happens when towing with the frig on and the fan blowing. When I install a new fuse the battery is often times at full charge.

What do I do now to find the problem. Is it possible the new panel / controller that came with the Solar panel is defective and if so how do I find out/ test for it?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Norman
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Not sure what would be causing that but I'll throw in a couple of comments.

When you say a fuse is blowing, is it the 30A main fuse that sits right at the battery?

If this is the case then I wouldn't put the solar panel first on my list. It would take a very large solar array to produce more than 30 amps across that fuse. I doubt that your array is that big.

I would look for a short. A hot wire that touches the frame at some point would draw that much current and pop the fuse.

The line that comes off the battery goes to the main fuse box and all of the wire that come from that are protected by their own fuses so you don't have to check all of the wires in the trailer. The wiring run from the battery to the main fuse box and from the battery to the converter are suspect. Also the wiring for the breakaway switch and the tongue jack may come directly off the battery.

Look for abraded insulation and some blackening.

Not sure why it would only happen when you were towing with the fridge on.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiPedaler View Post
So, My 2006 3326 King with a new factory installed (Trailmanor last fall) solar panel is still blowing fuses even after replacing the round one with a flat bladed 30 amp fuse.

It only happens when towing with the frig on and the fan blowing. When I install a new fuse the battery is often times at full charge.

What do I do now to find the problem. Is it possible the new panel / controller that came with the Solar panel is defective and if so how do I find out/ test for it?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Norman
If it is the fuse at the battery and only when towing with the frig and fan on look for a pinched wire or a staple through the insulation between the battery and refrig. On our 2720SL the fan wiring was run under the metal that the exhaust tubing was connected to. I redid the wiring here by drilling a hole through the metal and running the wires through a rubber grommet to prevent chafing at this point.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwright View Post
If this is the case then I wouldn't put the solar panel first on my list. It would take a very large solar array to produce more than 30 amps across that fuse.
True. But if the controller is bad or hooked up wrong, current might flow backward through the controller and pop the fuse.

This is a long shot. I doubt very much that it is the problem. But it is easy to check. Just disconnect the wires connected to the controller, repeat the initial conditions, and see if the fuse blows. What kind of controller do you have, by the way?

I much prefer the chafed wire explanations. But if nothing shows up, try this.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote