TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2001, 01:04 AM   #1
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Default Bike Rack

Just modified the links to point to correct place.

This is how I mounted my standard bike rack for a 2" receiver to the four inch bumper of my 1999 Trailmanor 2619.
Camping World sells a 2" RV Bumper Adapter catalog number 17221 which sells for $29.99. This adapter is made by Swagman.

The complete details can be found on my webpage at:

http://home.attbi.com/~trailmanor/ under TM Modifications.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 08:25 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Bike Rack

Rick,

I assume you've had no problem with bouncing, or any damage to the bumper because of the weight of the bikes?  That's always been one of my concerns.

F. J. & Ellen
Old 09-13-2001, 03:38 PM   #3
Chris
Site Team

;DRick,
Great Website!  Well laid out and designed.  I encourage everyone to go take a look!  I think we'll start a links page to get them all listed!  
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:55 AM   #4
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Chris,

Thanks for words of encouragement. You were the inspiration for doing the webpage.

F. J. & Ellen,

I haven't noticed any bouncing. I am also using an equalizing hitch. On one trip to Lake George with four bikes on the back and fully loaded trailer (a weeks worth of supplies), I did get some side to side sway on some sharp curves. On the return trip, I was careful on how I loaded the trailer keeping all the heavy items centered and in front of the wheels. I had no swaying on the return trip. With two and three bikes on the back I've had no problems at all.

After each trip with the bikes, I've slid under the trailer and have not found any signs of damage to the bumper. I've done five trips with the bikes so far.

Rick

Old 09-14-2001, 11:06 AM   #5
Chris
Site Team

Rick,  Thanks, I'm honored.  We'll post your link.
Ct..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 02:51 AM   #6
hal

Rick, please excuse if this message is a duplicate.  The first attempt didn't appear to go through.

??? :  Rick, this is a great idea, and so inexpensive.  I do have a couple questions:

1- Do you have to remove the bikes and/or bike carrier when you wish to raise the TrailManor roof?
2- Is the storage compartment still accessable with bikes and bike rack installed?
3- I notice a pin (0r a bolt) that is installed in the receiver end that is nearer the trailer.  Is this a bolt that screws into the stem of the bike rack or is it a pin extends trhough the stem.  If it is a bolt, anyone with a wrench could remove your bike rack while you are gone, say inside to eat at a restaraunt.  

Thanks for passing on this great idea.

Hs
Old 09-18-2001, 01:32 AM   #7
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Hal,

In regard to your excellent questions ,

1. Yes, you have to remove the bikes before opening. This is not a problem for me, because my children usually want to ride their bikes right away to explore the campground. The Thule bike carrier tips down, so the carrier doesn't have to be removed.

2. The storage compartment is accessible with the bike carrier and bikes installed. The last trip with bikes, I had to use the dump station and I store my sewer hose in this compartment. I was able to get the sewer hose with three bikes on the rack. You just have to access the storage compartment from the sides.

3. The bolt you see in the first picture came with the receiver adapter. You tighten it to stabilize the bike rack. I'm not sure if I really need to use it, but it does seem to make the bike rack more stable. There is an additional bolt that comes with the bike rack that goes through the receiver and threads into the bike rack. You are correct someone could unbolt the rack and steal the bikes. I usually lock all the bikes together and the lock them to the bike rack. Which means if someone was to steal the bikes, they would have to carry or drag off multiple bikes and a bike rack.

Thule does sell a lock (Snug Tite Lock) which locks the bike rack to the receiver.

Specifics on the bike rack can found at:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/images/manuals/984.pdf
Old 08-28-2002, 09:54 AM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I have the Swagman 3-bike rack...it works great, and as long as I can use it I will...http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/stor...TED:64600.htm:

<><
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 12:45 AM   #9
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I just recently changed to the Swagman Twister bike rack.

In the spring I was carrying four bikes and the Thule bike rack bent. This was my fault because the bike rack is only rated to carry 100lbs. When I first started carrying the bikes on TM I had two adult bikes and two children/youth bikes which were under the weight limit. But in the past four years the children have grown up and moved to adult size bikes and I forgot about the weight limit.

So, I bought the Swagman to replace the Thule. The Swagman bike rack is much more rugged than the Thule. It is also easier to get the bikes on and off the Swagman rack.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:16 AM   #10
Ettelson

Wow what a great idea.  Had been researching bike rack ideas for our 2000 2720 that we just purchased and yours was the best -- and cheapest.  We already had a Thule receiver hitch rack and installation was a breeze with your great directions and pictures.  Thanks!