TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
ColdFlame

Default How strong are the optional hanging cabinets?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to put dishes in the large hanging cabinet over the sink, however being that it only has the two hooks holding it there I am thinking this might not be wise. But it seems the only feasible place as I hate bending down to get something I need often, but I think I would have to take them in and out when I take it down, so maybe it won't work???

So to get to my question, what does everybody store in theirs? Has anyone had a problem? I have 6 large plates, 6 small, and 6 bowls, they are the corning (not sure of spelling) wear, so they are heavier then plastic. 4 mugs and some glasses.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We have service for 4 in that cabinet.....plastic, but heavy weight. Large plates, small plates, bowls, and glasses. Almost the same weight as ceramic. A bunch of other crap is up there too, including a decent size flashlight. It's fairly heavy...20-30 lbs I'm guessing.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlame View Post
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to put dishes in the large hanging cabinet over the sink, however being that it only has the two hooks holding it there I am thinking this might not be wise. But it seems the only feasible place as I hate bending down to get something I need often, but I think I would have to take them in and out when I take it down, so maybe it won't work???

So to get to my question, what does everybody store in theirs? Has anyone had a problem? I have 6 large plates, 6 small, and 6 bowls, they are the corning (not sure of spelling) wear, so they are heavier then plastic. 4 mugs and some glasses.
Just remember that you're going to have to lift that cabinet off the floor, and attach it to the wall hooks, ever time you set up the TM We also use hard plastic plates, bowls, and glasses, and also store our supply of paper plates in the cabinet. Not sure how heavy a set of Corningware is but it is assuredly heavier than plastic or paper. IMO, I think the lifting and positioning aspect might be more of an issue than pulling the mounting screws and brackets out of the wall.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Hanging Cabinet

Agree w/previous reply. I think the issue is whatever you can comfortably lift will probably hold fine. We have our dishes, glasses, etc. there -- all plastic. Would estimate cabinet weights 25-30 lbs.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I just weighed our hanging cabinet, and it is just under 40 lbs. You don't want it any heavier than that, not because of pulling the hangers out as Sharon/Andy suggested, but because it's a bit of a chore to lift it up that high and position it on the hangers. But we are camping.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
LittleRhodey

Default Another thought

I have melanmine plates, bowls, and cups. They were too heavy when I went to lift the cupboard. I put them in the dry dishpan (I leave it in the sink to minimize grey water) while we were travelling. Then when we got to the campground, I just lifted them back into the cupboard. No big movement or storage needed. I can't lift the cupboard with too much stuff in it. I also use the dishpan to hold a small cutting board, soap dispenser, sponge and Dobie scrubber when we are on the road. Then it's a simple matter to return them to their proper place when setting up.
Sara
Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
mtnguy

Out of curiosity, I just weight our over sink hanging cabinet, and it weighs in @ 27 lbs.......but feels more like 50 lbs. when I am trying to hang that puppy.

Chap
Old 06-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Shandysplace

Default Another Point

When one of us trys to hang the cabinet, it's very difficult to see easily the line up of the hooks. Now all is much easier with each of us lifting a corner so as we both can see to line up the hooks. Ours is somewhat more difficult than some because our cabinet hangs across the shell seam.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
When one of us trys to hang the cabinet, it's very difficult to see easily the line up of the hooks. Now all is much easier with each of us lifting a corner so as we both can see to line up the hooks. Ours is somewhat more difficult than some because our cabinet hangs across the shell seam.
Sharon and Andy, I think all over-the-sink cabinets hang over the seam.

Chap
Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Shandy -

First, mount the cabinet properly. Then, take a Sharpie marker and make a small mark on the top of the cabinet, and another mark on the wall in line with the first mark. Both marks are out of the casual line of vision. And viola! (As if I were partial to big stringed instruments!) Now you just lift the cabinet, line up the marks, and drop it in place. No need to crane your neck around to the side of the cabinet.

By the way, I discovered the hard way that if the front and rear shells aren't properly latched in place, the cabinet won't mount, no way no how! A good cross check.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote