TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default Awning fabric repair or replace

Well, it didn't look like it would get all that windy, but I learned the hard way that if the wind is blowing hard enough to fly a kite then it is blowing hard enough to tear the awning fabric.

The tear is about 18 inches long where it attaches to the fixed end that cranks out. There is no damage to any of the metal parts, just the fabric.

Because it is right at the attachment point there does not appear to be any way to repair it. If the tear was more in the middle I think a repair would be easier.

What does it take to replace the fabric on the Fiamma F45i? The TM just celebrated its first birthday.

I searched on awning, and all I could find was advise suggesting that the awning should only be used when you are sitting under it. I'm sure I read that, but didn't remember it. Must have been having a senior moment.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I finally have contacted my dealer. To replace the fabric, parts and labor, is $460. I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I wish I could think of a cheaper alternative.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
BrigCA61

Just thoughts that you may have already considered but have you tried a local canvas supplier, or CampingWorld for a patch and glue? I guess duct tape would work when in a bind but doesn't look as nice. If your comprehensive deductible is low enough, you may be able to get your insurance to pay.

Good luck,
Brigitte
Old 10-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I recall this subject being discussed before, not sure if it was on this board or the other (big) one. Someone on RV.net recommended this:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I have looked at tape. Even tried some duct tape. However, the tear is at the stitching adjacent to the aluminum frame. There is no way to tape fabric to fabric unless I remove the fabic from the frame. I tried duct taping the fabric to the aluminum, but duct tale doesn't stick well to aluminum unless you wrap it around the assembly.

I'm going to try CW next week.

The only think I can think of is to remove the fabric from the mechanism and have an awning company shorten the fabric by one inch and then put it back on.

Has anyone ever removed the fabric from the fiamma frame? The photos make it look easy, but I could not get it apart.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Joe

Did you try the Fiamma web site: http://www.fiammausa.com/services?
They have instructions on how to replace the canopy. It doesn't look difficult, takes two persons to do it though.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
BrigCA61

Here's a company that can provide replacement awning material, their prices don't look to bad if you can handle replacing it yourself and using the instructions the previous poster listed from Fiamma.

http://www.interwestsports.com/re-cover.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The only think I can think of is to remove the fabric from the mechanism and have an awning company shorten the fabric by one inch and then put it back on.

Has anyone ever removed the fabric from the fiamma frame? The photos make it look easy, but I could not get it apart.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
evans27292

Default awing

Quote:
I finally have contacted my dealer. To replace the fabric, parts and labor, is $460. I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I wish I could think of a cheaper alternative.
have you thought of aluminum frame that folds up, stores in cloth bag,pulls out to four corners and raises. they come in 10x12 and12x12 size.they cost from $75.00 to $200.oo.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
This sounds like it may be the way to go...our awning has plenty of extra fabric, yours probably does too. It shouldn't cost that much, either.