TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Tuscany Bandit

Default Generator questions

Although I have one, I have never used a generator. Questions are:

To charge the battery in my 2005 2720SL should I hook straight to the battery from the generator (it has the connections for the sole purpose of charging a battery) or plug the TrailManor directly into the 120 volt outlet on the generator?

Are there pros and cons for either way I do it?

Can I hook the generator straight to the battery of the TrailManor while the battery is still wired to the Trailmanor or should I disconnect the battery first?

How long should it take to charge the battery?

Thanks for any help I may receive!
THE SPECS:

Specifications: Mikoto SG1000
Super silent generator type1000 (with EPA/GS/CE)
Engine type: 4-stroke, over head valve, single cylinder,
Displacement:80.7cm3
Bore x stroke:52x38mm
Rated voltage:110v
Rated frequency:60hz
Rated power:800w
Max power:1000w
DC output charges 12v Automotive batteries
Maximum charging output 8.3a

FREQUENT QUESTIONS

How much does it weigh? About 52 lbs
How large is the gas tank? 1.3 gallons
How long will it run on a single gas tank fill? Approx. 4-6 hrs
How loud is it? 62 dbs
Old 04-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bandit -

No need to disconnect the battery. Whether you charge directly from the generator's battery-charge output, or fire up the entire TM and let the TM's converter charge the battery, you can keep the battery hooked up normally.

How long will it take to charge? I know it doesn't help much, but it depends on how far down the battery is. By the way, you shouldn't let a battery get really discharged, even the so-called "marine/deep cycle" batteries that come with the TM. But at an 8-amp charge rate, charging can take a number of hours. The typical battery is an Interstate SRM-24, which has a capacity of about 80 amp-hours. If it is 50% discharged, and you charge it at 8 amps, it will require at least 5 hours to come up to the top.

As for the big question - should I charge it directly from the generator or from the TM's built-in charger - there is no real agreement. On older TM's with a Magnetek/Powertek converter, the TM charger seems to provide a fairly low charge rate, so it will take a long time to charge. The new TM charger (from American Enterprises) is still kind of an unknown unit - no one has much experience with it. The only person with a good solution to the question is Bob Rederick. I'll let him tell you about it.

This is all discussed in the Electrical forum, and a lot of generator info has appeared in the Boondocking forum as well. I suggest you browse through all the threads having to do with generators.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
BobRederick

Thanks, Bill. I agree with what you say.

With my 60 Amp PD9160, I have no question: Plug the 120 V shore power cord into the generator. Mine will start at 20 to 30 Amps into the battery depending how low the battery is and drop to maybe 8 to 10 Amp in half an hour. Meantime, I have 120 VAC in the camper to charge cell phones, model planes, shaver, run the microwave, vacuum cleaner, etc., etc.

If he has the old Magnatek unit, it is not clear which is best. The Magnatek will take about 2 days to charge the battery and will have it bubbling to do it. The direct connection will probably start out at 8 amp (generator rating) but soon drop to 4 or 2 Amps. Trouble is, you won't know what is happening. It is indeed a murkey issue.

To really know, you need to use a hydrometer to read the specific gravity of the fluid. That's messy. And don't get the mess on your clothes or it will look like you were attacked by starving moths!

Next best is to read the voltage after a 20 minute no-current rest. That isn't very easy to do when charging, either. It is the method I used before the upgrades. You will eventually get a rough idea how long to charge after a days battery use. This forum posted links to some battery sites that gave the voltage vs % charge. Trouble is, I found 2 charts that were quite different. One would say 50% remains, the other said 10% remains. Probably something to do with deep cycle vs normal batteries or some other parameter. Just another murkey answer.

This situation bothered me to the extent that I installed a 'battery meter', the Xantrex Link-10. Now I know all about the battery. This solution isn't going to fit everyone, either. It is the meter used in homes that use solar or wind to generate their own power and costs about $200.

I hope that helped. It seems like a murkey answer.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Tuscany Bandit

Smile Generator questions

Thank you both Bill and Bob for your replies to my questions concerning the use of my generator to charge my battery. "Murky" indeed.
I got a chart for my battery type and will get a voltage meter and use your suggestions.
Thanks again,
Jerry