TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Routing wires around the refrigerator - from Winegard receptacle

There's another upgrade project for our '97 TM that I'd like to do. The Winegard TV booster/receptacle that I replaced the old one with has a couple of extra inputs/outputs that I'd like to add lines to. From what I remember (it's been a while) there is a connection for the outside cable (we have a separate inside connection) that can be connected. That should be a no-brainer, just connect the outside connection to the Winegard unit instead of the separate inside cable connection.

There is also another connection in the unit that could lead to another connection (I'd like to route ours to the rear bed area), but I don't know the easiest way of running the cable around the refrigerator. Have any of you pulled the refrigerator out, or run wires around it? I don't really want to pull the refrigerator out, or the water tank (which is right next to the frig in our 2720) so I am looking for a quick and easy route for the cable which should end up somewhere near the rear bed. Everything seems pretty sealed up under the sink to the right. Has anyone investigated the framing to the left of the refrigerator? Maybe going around the back of the refrigerator via the outside panel would be the easiest?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I have looked around a bit behind my fridge and I think you could get as far back as the bathroom sink but after that it is exposed.

To go back to the rear bed I would look into going underneath the TM.

I know that in my 2005 2720 the switch that isolates the rear shell when the bathroom wall folds down is readily accessable from the rear storage compartment.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
BobRederick

B & D
I installed a battery meter in my 3326 a few weeks ago. I had to go from the back storage compartment (battery) to the converter (end of tub) to the sink where I mounted the indicator. I crawled around under and inside the TM all day Saturday, then slept on it to find a route for that.

I also had the outside shower removed which gives access to the area on the driver's side of the tub as well as all the way to the converter along the back edge of the tub.

It is nearly impossible to run a new wire in the TM wire channels. They are too full, the cables in there are stiff and don't give, and too many curves.

I drilled a hole in front of the battery into the area below the tub. Then went to the converter where I mounted the shunt (you don't need this path). Then back to the drivers wall and forward along the end of the tub. Then down thru the TM wiring/plumbing cutout and right thru the floor. Come outside between the frame rails that way. Then I ran it under the driver's side edge of the grey tank and screwed cable clamps to the flange of the tank. In front of the tank is the sink area and I went thru the floor next to the propane pipe.

Now, adapting what I did to your goal, I would investigate going thru the floor at the refrig and attach the cable to the TM underbelly using cable clamps. The front part of the path is easy but it gets a little more difficult at the grey tank. I don't know where you would be coming up into the bedroom compartment. You are on your own there!

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my 2720SL, I had to run a new cable from the converter area (under the tub) to the area under the kitchen sink. There is a channel under the bathroom floor. As Bob said, it is very crowded in that channel. I was able to run the new wire by straightening out a wire clothes hanger and working it through the channel, from the converter end to the kitchen sink end. Before I started pushing it through, I formed a tight loop in the end, which enabled it to slide past some of the obstructions. Once I got it pushed through, I tied a heavy string into the loop, and pulled the string back through. Then I tied the other end of the string to the new cable, and pulled the cable through. Whew! But it worked, and it kept the cable inside.

Now, getting to the under sink area from the TV cable entry may be another story, but I've got to believe you can find (or make) an opening.

Bill.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the hints everyone - if I have time this weekend I'll poke around a bit more. It just looks kind of tacky to run the cables outside (and one more thing to put up & take down).

Question for you new TM owners - is there indeed a coax connection near the rear bed? If so, where is it located?

Dee
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yes, there is another Winegard outlet and an AC duplex outlet on the wall of the hallway, bathroom side, down near the floor and just forward of the bed. Love it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
BobRederick

B&D
The cables I described are under the TM belley and do not show at all. They are between the frame rails. They also don't have to be moved to set up or take down. However, I don't know where you plan to have the cable come out in the bedroom. The TV will also have to be put away before moving.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Just remember that when adding wire to an existing conduit or other similar wire tray that you should never go over 80 percent capacity of the physical space. You need some air around the wires so that they do not over heat. You are risking a fire if you pack the conduit too tight.

So sayeth my brother in law the electrician.