TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
jimwilly

Default Insurance Settlement Question

Help!! My 2003 TM3023 has suffered some significant hail damage to the roof. Many, many dents in the top, some quite deep and rather large. The two 'skylights' were broken as well as the a/c casing.

The dents in the top do not appear to have broken through the aluminum covering, but I cannot be 100% positive at this point.

My question is this - How do I determine what would be a fair settlement from the insurance company? They have agreed to 'total' the trailer since it would cost so much to completely replace the two shells, which is what would need to be done. I found out from Ed at the factory that the roof cannot be simply repaired as the insurance company thought.

I have found several similar units for sale over the internet but the asking prices are considerably more than what I am being offered. I know asking prices are just that, asking prices, and most sellers will negotiate somewhat but, on average, how much below the posted asking price would one normally be able to make a purchase? I really do not want to call someone, pretending to be a serious buyer, before I know how much I can pay. That does not seem fair to the seller.

I do not want to take undue advantage of the insurance company, either, but I do want to be able to replace my trailer with a comparable unit with the settlement money. Actually, I am expecting to have to travel what could turn out to be quite a long distance to find a replacement trailer since they simply are not that plentiful. So I know I will be out of pocket a fair amount from the get go.

Any help anyone can offer to me in my negotiations with the insurance company would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
jimwilly is offline   Reply With Quote