TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
2pilgrims

Default Q. about bed & shower units

Hi all,
My wife and I just visited the Ohio Boat & RV show and we were both impressed with the efficiency and craftsmanship of the TrailManor Elkmont (24’ upright). Later we found out they had collapsible models (wow). We took a trip to the local dealer but they had nothing to show us.

Without making a return trip to the RV show we wanted to know if the platform bed is as uncomfortable as it looks? We tested the beds in other RVs and they were like sleeping on a board. Second question, are the tub/shower units the same size in each model (including the Elkmont as it’s the only one I’ve seen). I am 6’2’’ 260# and in most showers my head is in the bubble.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Rick & Marlene
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pilgrims View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I just visited the Ohio Boat & RV show and we were both impressed with the efficiency and craftsmanship of the TrailManor Elkmont (24’ upright). Later we found out they had collapsible models (wow). We took a trip to the local dealer but they had nothing to show us.

Without making a return trip to the RV show we wanted to know if the platform bed is as uncomfortable as it looks? We tested the beds in other RVs and they were like sleeping on a board. Second question, are the tub/shower units the same size in each model (including the Elkmont as it’s the only one I’ve seen). I am 6’2’’ 260# and in most showers my head is in the bubble.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Rick & Marlene
Well, I'm 6'2" and I was 235 a few weeks ago........(a lot less now). I have no problems with the shower in our fold-down TM. However, some people do find it a bit cramped. There are a few tricks to overcome that if you get one. I haven't seen the Elkmont.

Our beds are quite comfy. Haven't heard any complaints about the beds.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I agree with Wayne. I'm about the same size, and have no problems with the shower or bed. Granted, they obviously aren't as comfortable as home, but both are WAY better than tent camping.

And it depends on how tired and dirty you are.

After hiking back up from spending a few days at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, the shower felt just about like what I envision the one at the Ritz feels like. And that night, even a bomb wouldn't have awakened me I was so comfy in bed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
P and B

2Pilgrims,

The shower fix is pretty easy. It has to do with using plastic sheets on the walls (we put our up with velcro) so you don't have to wrap the shower curtain around you making the shower seem tight. This is an hour or so fix using velcro and clear plastic sheeting. I think this is one of the best "mods" you can make on the collapsable TM (haven't seen an elkmont).

As for the bed....I've had two back surgeries so I'm a little sensitive. I found the bed, as-is, uncomfortable. My wife didn't mind it. The fix for this was a 2" to 2.5" king size memory foam topper. I now sleep like a baby and we can still close the shells- albeit they are tighter, and therefor harder to close than without the topper.

Both of these modifications or additions are very simple and not too expensive (the foam topper can be a bit pricey...we found ours on overstock) for the net gains.

Depending on what type of "glamping" experience you're looking for, the TM is a good choice if you can tow something and don't mind the 10 minutes in additional set up time. The only other unit I can think of that comes close is a Hi-Lo and it weighs a lot more and I don't think is as roomy. We have the 3124KS and there's gobs of room- especially when it's just my wife and I.

Have fun.

Phil
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
viking

My wife has a bad back and we replaced the factory mattress with a $50 Coleman air mattress and it works great for us. We also added a feather topper for added comfort. I am 6’2” and I have no problem with the shower.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We own one of the collapsible models, and saw the Elkmont at the rally last fall in Petaluma, CA. The bathroom in the Elkmont is much larger than the collapsible models' bathrooms. The headroom is OK in ours, DH is 6'3" and he fits fine into ours, however, the Elkmont bathroom gave me a "WOW" feeling when I checked it out, which the collapsible models do not. The skylight is an extra-added Wow item. We all sleep fine in our beds, even though the mattresses are 12 + years old. With the Elkmont it would seem that you could replace the mattress quite easily.

I wouldn't go ahead and order one of the collapsible models sight-unseen expecting it to be just like the Elkmont, because they are much different.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
rjsmalley

The TM is a great trailer and the two items you mentioned have not been an issue for our family. I will tell you I did do the alterantion Phill mentioned with the shower and while it was never really too small, it now seems much larger.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
rjlwork

Hi 2Pilgrims, We're going to the show tomorrow afternoon. We saw our Trailmini on the news 3 different times! (It's the little collapsible one with the porch) There is a dealer in Lancaster that carrys them--I'm guessing they are the ones displaying them. Might check them out.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
rjlwork

Went to the show yesterday and met Andy from the factory. What a great guy; listened to all our comments and answered alot of questions. My experience is limited since we just bought our Trailmini in September, but the factory has been extremely helpful with our newbie inexperience! We're considering a carrier on the back of the mini and Andy recommended welding some extra supports to stabilize the rack with the generator on it.
The Trailmini was getting tons of excitement around it. Lots of folks were checking it out. We're still learning about ours and love it!
Judy Workman
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous