TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Default Boot/Seal Wear on Rear Shell

This post is just for info but I've just noticed while closing our 2619 that we are getting significant wear on the molding on the top sides of the rear shell from the boot/seal on the rear of the front shell while towing. The paint is also worn off all the way across under the seal but the bare aluminum there doesn't apear to be eroded. I don't know how long it's been going on because it's only visible when the rear shell is down and before the front shell is closed and covers it. It could have been going on since the TM was new or it may have resulted during our recent trip to Alaska. My guess is that it was the Alaska trip or I would have noticed it earlier.

I talked to Ed at the TM factory and he suggested adjusting the spring loaded hold-down latches so the top section fits tighter and stops much of the movement. He also said silicone spray may help. Possibly both shells are moving so I may try adjusting the spring catches on both. I'll also clean the boot to get rid of any sand or other abrasives that may be contributing to the problem. It occurs to me that having the top shells close down tightly on the extra mattress padding some people have added may not be a bad thing -- anything that stops them from moving should help.

There has been other discussion about the tops and latches but I didn't find anything that dealt with this problem specifically so I thought I would pass the info on.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Harry Womack

Default Moulding, paint coming off

I have the extra memory foam pad on the back bed and my paint wears off of the moulding just as bad.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Frank -

Actually there has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence, and I'm not sure that lubing or adjusting the spring tension will help.

You will find a lot of the discussion by searching on "UHMW tape" (now why didn't I think of that?). Larry Loo has given us a lot of info on the topic, and the threads developed some nice solutions, including photos.

The new TMs now have a UHMW wear strip at this point, but you can add your own for a couple bucks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote