TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Aluminum sink cleaning

The aluminum sink in the TM seems to stain very easily, and it looks like a lot of the cleaners on the market have caveats about what to use them on or what not. So far, I’ve just used one of those scrub sponges and lightly buffed out the stains with one “aluminum safe” cleaner or another. When I do this it results in some amount of gray aluminum residue when wiping out the sink, when cleaning at the end of a trip. Does anyone have any guidance on the best way to clean an aluminum sink in a TM?

Thanks,

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:15 AM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Aluminum sink cleaning

Kevin,
Which "aluminum sink" are you trying to clean? My '02 2720SL has a white plastic sink in the bath and a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. ???
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Mike Laupp link=board=2;threadid=1349;start=msg9479#msg9479 date=1064236511]
Kevin,
Which "aluminum sink" are you trying to clean? My '02 2720SL has a white plastic sink in the bath and a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. ???
[/quote]

The kitchen sink. Well, now I'm going to have to go out tomorrow with a magnet and check ???. Both my wife and I were assuming it was aluminum given how easily it stained, how soft it seemed when cleaning it, and how much metal residue came off when cleaning it. Hopefully this is just a, "well duh!".

Thanks! (skulks off sheepishly with a magnet :P ),

Kevin
Old 09-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Kevin,
The magnet may not be an accurate check. Stainless is not very responsive to magnets. The powder and staining problems are most likely due to the type stainless used for the sink. I don't beleive that it is one of the better stainless metal blends. I'm sure this sink was chosen for its light weight.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Well, this indeed is just a "well duh" on my part. Ah....Nevermind everyone... :-[

Kevin
Old 09-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Kevin, When we are packing up, I always clean the kitchen sink with 409 spray cleaner or Fantastik spray on cleaner. I first wet the entire sink, then spray on the cleaner. I have a small scrub brush to clean the sink. I then rinse it out and take a dry towel to wipe it dry. Looks just like a new one when I'm done. I've done this on all the Trailmanors that we have owned. The sinks looked just like new when we traded in the units. I think the trick is to wipe it dry once you have thoroughly cleaned it.

Hope the info helps.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:36 AM   #7
arknoah

I'm with Bob. Some simple non-abrasive cleaner and thorough rinsing and drying has kept ours looking pretty good.