TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
mikeandalicescott

Default Water Heater Not Working on 120AC

Hi,
I bought a used 2720SL from a friend and love it. Everything worked fine until last trip, when the water heater refused to work on 120AC. I turned on the three switches under the sink at the same time, and then filled the heater by opening the hot tap. Could this have burned out the heater element? Is the element replacable or do I have to replace the entire heater?
Mike S.
mikeandalicescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
RogerR

There is the possibility that you melted it.

Always fill the water heater before lighting it or turning it on.

Before you replace the element you should unplug the TM and make sure wiring to the element is intact. Vibration and mice can get to it.

If it looks ok watch some youtubes on " how to remove my RV water heater element". I found three with my first search. Use the brand of your water heater in the search. You will probably have to buy a water heater socket. 5 to 10 $. The element is not very expensive. Also, while you are doing this remove and inspect the anode rod.

Lots of posts on both.

Or take it to any RV dealer who will suck your wallet dry.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

It could have burned the element. If the switch was in the ON position, and the WH tank was dry, it only takes seconds to burn the element. So, to be clear, the WH does work on propane? The element is a replaceable item and can be found at most RV parts stores. Get the Model, or remove the element.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
it could have burned the element. If the switch was in the on position, and the wh tank was dry, it only takes seconds to burn the element. So, to be clear, the wh does work on propane? The element is a replaceable item and can be found at most rv parts stores. Get the model, or remove the element.
+2
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
mikeandalicescott

Thanks for the help. Found a good youtube video for replacing the element, and it looks pretty straight forward. Should be able to fix it up. Thanks again.
mikeandalicescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

There is an electrical rocker switch on the water heater itself in the general area of the lower left when looking at it from the outside. Good practice is to make sure it is off when you break camp. That way when you go on the next camping trip and plug in, the empty water tank will not fire up the heating element.

So is there is a possibility that this switch was off and you didn't flip it on when the tank was filled up? On my unit, the "three switches" below the sink does not control the 120VAC operation of the hot water tank. One switch only controls the propane operation.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
grubbyjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandalicescott View Post
Thanks for the help. Found a good youtube video for replacing the element, and it looks pretty straight forward. Should be able to fix it up. Thanks again.
If you haven't done it yet, I bought my replacement at Home Depot. They have the wrench for about $8. After replacement, they let me return the wrench since it had only been used once and the price label was still intact.

While you are at it, replace the anode and flush sediment out. You'll have to configure a funnel of some sort else the water in the tank will drain back into the cavity.

Didn't hurt anything. Just had to mop up some water!

[SIGPIC]http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8372&dateline=1403045 022[/SIGPIC]
2010 Sport Trac -> 2009 2720SL
Travel accessories: Dobro style resonator guitar, Mandolin, Guitar

Albums
grubbyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote