TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
TrailGuy77

Question Microwave Shelf On TM with Both Hanging Cabinets

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has fabricated a microwave shelf on their TM that has both of the factory hanging cabinets over the sink and stove.I have grown tired of the counter space my microwave steals.

I saw another member "Rockerga" that installed one "over the stove" on his 2720SL but he obviously did not have the factory cabinet there.

I found a 3124KS for sale in the RV trader that has a custom detachable shelf with a single leg mounted on the side of the cabinet over the sink.The picture showed a microwave on it,looks "Nice" but wanted to ask members here before considering calling the seller to ask about it.

Anyway,if anyone has done this,can you tell me about it? What hardware did you use? How has it held up? Any problems with it? Do you like it?

Any input will DEFINATELY be appreciated!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I am planning on putting a shelf off of the side of the wardrobe, and setting the microwave on that, if it works out as planned. I, too, have the cabinets over the stove and sink, and DW has made the request to get the microwave off the countertop if possible, so there you go

I was planning something like this: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...0741#post70741 but using a deeper 20" shelf, as my micro is only 19" wide. I'll post pics once I'm done.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
TrailGuy77

ThePair,

Thanks for the info. Seems like the wardrobe cabinet would be stronger than the over the sink cabinet.Hopefully it can withstand the weight of a microwave without adding additional support like a leg and a foot that rests on the countertop.I want to avoid adding a leg if possible!

I am going to do some more brainstorming/waiting on this one!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
ThePair,

Thanks for the info. Seems like the wardrobe cabinet would be stronger than the over the sink cabinet.Hopefully it can withstand the weight of a microwave without adding additional support like a leg and a foot that rests on the countertop.I want to avoid adding a leg if possible!

I am going to do some more brainstorming/waiting on this one!
I'm hoping to avoid the extra leg as well. I'll let you know how it progresses with me...
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Ok, the shelf is done, and worked out perfectly! Pics are below. After it is disassembled, all the parts store easily under the couch, and the microwave fits perfectly in the tub. The bar attached to the wardrobe is flatter than the molding on the top of the wardrobe, so there is no interference when it's folded down for travel.

I put a metal plate on the side of the shelf that is closest to the closet, because the weight of the micro was making the shelf flex on that side; now it stays flat. Next, I'm looking for something to prevent any front-to-back sliding of the micro when closing the door--a "shelf divider" might work for that, or better pads on the bottom of the micro.

All in all we're very happy with this setup, just need a little pad for the front corner of the shelf (DW and I both managed to bump our foreheads there when working on something on the counter). The extra counterspace was wonderful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	micro1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	4683   Click image for larger version

Name:	micro2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	4684  
Old 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm very impressed. That's a nice-looking installation. I would never have dared to try it - I would have guessed that the weight of the microwave would have ripped the side out of the wardrobe. How much does that microwave weigh? Did you do any interior bracing?

Two lengths of slit foam pipe insulation, pushed over the front and back edge of the shelf, might take care of both the front-to-back sliding and the head-bumping problems.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm very impressed. That's a nice-looking installation. I would never have dared to try it - I would have guessed that the weight of the microwave would have ripped the side out of the wardrobe. How much does that microwave weigh? Did you do any interior bracing?

Two lengths of slit foam pipe insulation, pushed over the front and back edge of the shelf, might take care of both the front-to-back sliding and the head-bumping problems.

Bill
Thanks! This is a fairly light microwave (I'll try to weigh it sometime for reference) but the shelves haven't budged. I attached that horizontal member via 3 wood screws to the bracing bar which internally runs across the top of the wall of the wardrobe. It was pure serendipity as to how it worked out, and the screws I used *just* poke through, so I know they're giving maximum hold. Since that bar was already there, I didn't see any need for additional bracing, and so far, so good. Distributed over the 3 points -- one of which is behind where the interior hanging bar connects -- seems to be enough of a spread that the wardrobe shows no obvious signs of flex or weakness. Since it's a part of the existing structure, I think any strain is distributed around pretty evenly. Most of the force should be downward at the screws, and the ends of that internal bar are already supported on each end by vertical members (to hold the wardrobe together structurally). In addition, the vertical metal bars are resting on the outside of the wardrobe right where the internal corner bars are, so nothing is putting any pressure on the thin walls of the wardrobe at all -- any and all forces are on the structural members internally. Time will tell how well it holds up, but it seems quite sound and solid.

Pipe insulation is an excellent idea, I'll definitely pick some up next time I'm at the proper store. Could probably get a little extra for under the bed at the same time...
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
TrailGuy77

ThePair,

Your microwave shelf looks GREAT,very nice job!

My TM has been sitting at the storage yard since the end of May,so I have not had a chance to do anything to it yet.If I decide to proceed with this,I will likely go with your design or something very similar to it.I will let you know if I have any questions.

Thanks Again!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
tarudy

To "The Pair",

I appreciated the pictures of your microwave shelf, nice job. Then I noticed the foam topper on your back bed... What do you do with that foam when your unit is collapsed? Can you get the back shell down over all that? Thanks, I just bought a 2922KB and will take it on the first trip in 2 weeks, so I am trying to learn as much as I can in advance. I think I am going to remove the kingbed and go with an airmattress with a 2" eggcrate topper. That way I can deflate when ready to leave and leave all the bedding in place. I hope I am not in trouble for going off topic on a thread...

Thank you!
Trudy
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarudy View Post
To "The Pair",

I appreciated the pictures of your microwave shelf, nice job. Then I noticed the foam topper on your back bed... What do you do with that foam when your unit is collapsed? Can you get the back shell down over all that? Thanks, I just bought a 2922KB and will take it on the first trip in 2 weeks, so I am trying to learn as much as I can in advance. I think I am going to remove the kingbed and go with an airmattress with a 2" eggcrate topper. That way I can deflate when ready to leave and leave all the bedding in place. I hope I am not in trouble for going off topic on a thread...

Thank you!
Trudy
We have 3.5" of foam over a queen air mattress (5" inflated, give-or-take). We deflate the air mattress and just leave the foam and bedding in place, no problems with that, at least in my TM. As long as the total height is <4" you should be fine closing the TM shells.