TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
Redhawk

Mtnguy....when the bars are set correctly, they should be pretty much parellel with the ground and tongue. Are your 800 lb bars set up like that? I've read other posts here that said the 800 lb bars are pulled up close to the max. I'm just curious.....thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #32
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
With the WB (and weight) on my truck, there is no issue with front wheel control on dry pavement.
I'm with Wayne on WDHs. I'd install one on my crew cab pickup if I had any TV front end issues. Haven't experienced any so far. Even the lowbeam headlights barely budge upwards when hooked up, so I never got a WDH. Also like keeping the would-be transferred weight off my TM axle and tires (i.e. if I used a WDH).
Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #33
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Get you an electric jack. That will help solve your aching back.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Mtnguy....when the bars are set correctly, they should be pretty much parellel with the ground and tongue. Are your 800 lb bars set up like that? I've read other posts here that said the 800 lb bars are pulled up close to the max. I'm just curious.....thanks.
Here is my setup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Setup.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5290

My bars are not parallel to the ground for several reasons. 1st, I am using a 1" raised ball to prevent the dual cam pivot bolt from rubbing the trunnion bars......that would not be a problem pulling Trailmanors as they seldom need any kind of anti-sway system. The 2nd reason is that with both my trailer and Trailmanors, the coupler is mounted to the top of the frame, instead of the bottom. Even with the minimum 5 links of chain used, it would be hard to get the bars parallel....you would have to use 4 or maybe even 3, not giving you enough swing at the snap-up brackets. Plus, I also have a 6" frame, making getting the bars parallel not practical.

I think with the round bar setup, getting the bars parallel is part of the setup.....you can usually use more chain lengths without having to tilt the ball mount back as much.

In my photo, you can see the bars are slightly bent. When using the 1200 lb. bars, I could not see any bend. I have been told by both Reese and probably the most knowledgeable member on RV.net concerning Reese setups, that my setup looks good. Depending on the factors listed above (coupler placement, frame size, links used, tongue weight, etc) other setups are not going to look exactly like mine.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #35
Redhawk

Thanks Mtnguy, I can easily see what you mean from the pics, it does look good. I was not meaning to imply anything was wrong with your setup, just trying to learn more.
If I get a chance to try the 800 lb bars, I will.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #36
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Thanks Mtnguy, I can easily see what you mean from the pics, it does look good. I was not meaning to imply anything was wrong with your setup, just trying to learn more.
If I get a chance to try the 800 lb bars, I will.
I did not take it as an implication that anything was wrong. I just thought I would reply to show you my particular setup.

I did learn after I had the trunnion style hitch installed, that the round bar system works better for those trailers using the dual cam system with the coupler on top of a 6" frame. Since the round bar system comes out of the bottom of the hitch and runs more parallel with the ground, there is no rub problem with the spring bars and the cam yoke. You guys with fold down Trailmanors who don't need any kind of anti-sway system have it so lucky. Tell me again why I switched ??
Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #37
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Thank you all, I am convinced of the need for a WDH. Had many other priorities, (class 'd' tires, transmission cooler, etc.) have been on four trips and going on a long one with lots of gear (three dogs, one son, guns, ammo, food, hunting gear).

So which is the right one?

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49568.html

or this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49585.html

Remember I have a swing away, I don't want to pay someone to do this.

Need to get this before I leave on Thanksgiving for South Dakota.

Once again, thanks for all the help and information.
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mecicon -

You started this thread with the same question, two months ago, and you've gotten almost 40 responses. Is there something else you think we should be doing to help you?

You might check the Search tool to find threads like this one.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10256
Or just scroll down through the Towing Rigs thread list. Please.

The fact of the matter is that most WDHs in the same weight class are very similar. Your links point to 600-pound hitches. Experience on this board suggests that this will be a little light, especially if you have one of the larger TMs. You might consider moving up to an 800-pound hitch.

Good (and nearly identical) hitches are made by Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Valley, and a couple others. These will have similar prices. UHaul will sell you a good hitch (Hidden Hitch, I think) and install it for you on short notice. I personally like my Reese trunnion hitch, since I can add sway control later if I ever feel I need it (I've never felt the need).

More expensive hitches are available. Many people on this board like the Equal-I-Zer or Eaz-Lift. Or you can spring for a Hensley Arrow if you don't mind taking out a second mortgage.

By the way, you might consider adding your tow vehicle model and year, and your TM model and year, to your signature line. It helps a lot with a question like this.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #39
mecicon
TrailManor Master

What is the difference between a round bar and a trunnion?

I will go with the 800#, thanks for the tip.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #40
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Actually, not much except for the ability to add dual-cam sway control, which you proably don't need. For a more definitive answer, go to

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-vs-round-bar/

and read the response by Rocky Mountain Ray in particular. He was our towing guru here on this board in the early days.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice