TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Honda Pilot - Tow Capacity; per Honda America

I spoke with a Honda America Cust Svc Rep today. He was not typical - i.e., he was way more knowledgeable than the standard issue rep.

The subject: 4500 lb vs. 3500 lb tow limits given for the Pilot.

He concurred that the 4500 lb limiit for boat/trailer combo is considered reasonable in light of much lower aerodynamic drag. When asked about the flat plate drag effect of a boat's windshield, he said it is, all things considered, smooth and aerodynamic. [ Editorial: Not! Turbulence and suction drag behind an open windshield is not insignificant.]

I raised the issue of the tongue weight limit of 450 lbs. He paused (how'd he know about that?) for a bit before concurring - after I pointed out I had seen that number in a Honda Pilot shop manual (or brochure). More discussion ensued, re tongue weight on a hitch with and without a WDH. I.e., if a WDH is used, trailer tongue weight of up to 675 lbs. could be tolerated without exceeding 450 lbs carried on the hitch. He conceded the point. All TrailManors would qualify if the hitch were the only limit.

We finally got back to travel trailer aerodynamics. A typical TT might have 36 to 40 SqFt of fl eqivalent flat plate drag area. I posited that a low profile trailer, with somwhere around 12-13 total suare feet of equivalent flat plate drag area would not generate much more drag then a 4500 lb boat/trailer rig. So, couldn't Honda be a bit more precise in specifying the aerodynamic limits for those of us who have low profile trailers?

Impasse. He said that Honda uses this approach for "liability" purposes. Saying that the typical customer is not in a position to rationally analyze anything more complex than their current limits. Numbers had to be kept simple.

I asked if my intuition, re a low-profile trailer was correct. He of course said he could not comment one way or the other. Neither confirm nor deny (Calls are probably recorded for their own protection). However - he could have said the numbers we publish are inviolable. He really said "figure it out for yourself" - didn't he?

My personal feeling is that almost all of the single axle TM's will be just fine hitched to the Pilot. But, if one were to burn up a tranny, or engine while towing something over 3500 lbs (if proveable) the warranty would be invalidated. Catch-22. You can easily tow a 3500 lb + Tm , but if caught, you can't.

I think that's the end of the line for my investigation into the Pilot towing limit question!

Cheers,

Denny

Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote